1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

industrial strength weed killer needed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by stoney, Jul 24, 2010.

1. stoney

stoney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have recently bought a house that has a problem in the garden with really bad weeds, ive been told its something along the linesof cows tails or something like that, possibly japanese knotwood, anyway i basically want something that will kill the lot of it, ive looked on t'internet and 2-4-d keeps coming up but i believe its banned, someyhing of a similar srength to this would be nice, the stronger the better! any ideas? thanks

2. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    my hubby gets stuff from his work (farm) tho i have no idea what it is. he mixes it too! usually works a treat on our gravel drive. i shall ask him what he uses.

3. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

Hi!

The problem is us amateurs cannot get anything stronger than "coloured water", unlike the professional gardeners or farmers.

Why not try the crowd called Greenfingers, ( I think) they came round calling on doors in our area, one householder who had let his rear garden go wild, had them in and after two treatments it had got rid of all the perennial weeds!

This was last year, I think he said the first treatment was £18 and the second £12, as far as he was concerned he could not have bought enough Roundup to have covered the area done!

Check them they should give you a quote!

Best of luck! :gnthb:

Cheers!

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think you can still buy it - but it may not be legal - but I got triple strength glyphosphate (Roundup I think) on the internet.
    It wasn't cheap but I think it will last me all my life.
    Have a Google.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Stoney, let`s identify the pest before looking for dangerous chemicals. Let`s have a couple of pics of the plants first.:gnthb:

6. stoney

Ratings:
    +0
    i havent got a digital camera but i will ask my neighbour what it is, he knew but i cant remember what he said. cheers everyone

7. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    [​IMG]

Is it these you've got? Horsetails they are. Tough little swines to get rid of. A few repeated doses of Roundup sprayed over the area should be a good place to start, but if you've got a heavy infestation this could end up quite costly if you keep buying the stuff yourself. A weed killer company that uses backpack sprayers and can easily access industrial strength weed killer may be a better option.

8. stoney

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, that looks very much like the stuff i want rid of,so xcan anyone tell me what i need? or someone in cleveland near guisborough who can sort it for me?

9. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well as I said in my above post; depending on the size of the area needing treatment you may be OK going to your local garden centre and asking there for a suitable Glyphosate based weedkiller. There are other products available that are more potent and used mainly by professionals such as Timbrel and Garlon. If it's a large area that needs treating it may work out more cost effective and easier to get someone else in. Use Google or Yell.com to search for weed control/killing in your area.

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Stoney, you can get a litre of Glyphosate from Wilkos for £10. Treat the Marestail BEFORE the fronds unfurl, you will need to do it several times, but you will, eventually, control it.

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    2-4-d is basically, SBK which isn't banned but it's no use for mares tail as it's only effective on broad-leaved plants. Try doing as Dai says but bruise the stems before you try it. This plant has a hard outer layer that repels water and herbicides. Glyphosate has to be taken down to the roots

12. saxon

saxon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Stoney, the problem with Horsetails or Marestails is that they have been around since time began and are hard to get rid of. I was inundated with them when I moved into this house and tried all kinds. In the end I had to get a mini digger and have the ground removed, about 6 ft down and then lined the trench with rock salt that you use on the roads in winter. I found, after research, that is all that keeps it at bay. Even now, after 6 yrs I still get the odd one poking up through the drive and have to rub the rocksalt in, after Ive rubbed it with my boot. I will never get rid of it completely, it doesn't know how to die. There's a waxy coating to the plant that any weed killers sprayed on it just run off and into the soil. You've got your hands full and some hard work ahead of you. I wish you luck.

13. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Saxon, its nice of you to reply, but as Stoney asked almost 2 years ago, and only made 3 posts, (look at post count and date posted) please don't expect a reply.