1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive ground cover for steep bank

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Welshmike, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Welshmike

Welshmike Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm an absolute newbie to this forum and have very little gardening experience.
    The back garden of my house has a steep bare bank that has had an overgrown Laurel hedge cut down to its stumps and two old apple trees at the bottom. The bank is 16 metres long, the slope is 3 metres long. It faces North West and I'm uploading a photo taken at just after 7:30pm tonight.
    Please will the team suggest what inexpensive ground cover plant or plants I should buy to provide ground cover for the bank and any planting advice they think appropriate.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Mike
    bank.jpg

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Hi Mike - just tagging this thread as I have the same problem for the mother in laws garden . I am sure there will be some excellent suggestions over the next few days from the GC members :blue thumb:

3. Welshmike

Welshmike Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Harry. I do hope we get some suggestions. If I select Vinca Minor for ground cover my novice estimate is that I will need some 50 plants at from £5 each. Ouch!

4. Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Ajuga reptans?
    I grow this as it's a fast growing plant for ground cover. You could get away with buying less plants and they would soon cover your bank.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Thanks Mandy , that looks good :dbgrtmb: Also was in the local nursery on Sunday and they stock it ! I'll buy a few this weekend . Do you know how they perform in a shady spot ?

• Naylors Ark

Ratings:
      +1,019
      I've got them growing in the shade of my very large oak tree. In the summer it's in the shade for most of the day. As a guide I pulled some of the Ajuga reptans 'Atroprupurea' up from a dense area late last summer and transplanted it elsewhere in the garden. It's now 5 times the size! I also have a pink variety with lighter colour leaves which isn't quite so fast growing but still good ground cover.
      Ajuga reptans 'Purple Torch':

Ajuga Reptans Purple torch.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I bought the 2 varieties of Ajuga below from a nursery near my work yesterday , only £1.10 each so very good value. I'll plant them today at the mother in laws - full sun , and in a shady corner of my garden under a red robin shrub. They are very nice looking plants - cheers for the tip Mandy :dbgrtmb: I'll also plant some creeping jenny and see how that fares.
        Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'
        Ajuga reptans 'Burgundy Glow'

• Naylors Ark

Ratings:
        +1,019
        I also have some creeping jenny growing in the same part of the garden. It also grows very well, though I keep pulling it up thinking it's a weed.:redface:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        Geraniums might do well in that area:

Geranium Dusky Crug
        [​IMG]

Geranium Patricia:
        [​IMG]

Geranium Rozanne:
        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
        • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
          Ratings:
          +598
          Hi Mike,

Just caught up with your comment about Vinca, it shouldn't cost you that much, once established it's like a weed and you must know people who already have it and would be glad to give you cuttings. I dig out loads every year. Don't know if you're in Wales (guessing from your I.D.) but if so Vinca does really well in our damp climate.