1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Instructions On Composting..

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by shiney, Jun 27, 2010.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,230
    They did actually say that large amounts of sawdust and wood shavings are unsuitable.

Also, having spoken to them about it they say that a lot of people get their wood shavings from when they are doing woodworking and a lot of the time the wood used is treated with chemicals.

I use wood shavings and sawdust from trees that have been cut down in the garden but when used in quantity they delay the rotting down. Cardboard and paper works better in the mix - apart from glossy paper.

I would guess that the reference to non-deciduous leaves would be either because of unsuitable types of leaves (toxicity in a lot of them - Eucalyptus and laurel just as examples) and that they also delay the rotting process. They are almost certainly referring to the cutting of the evergreens - Leyllandii and Laurel are very common hedging plants over here. For instance, Laurel, depending on which kind, contains andromedotoxin, cyanogenic glycosides and amygdalin. Eucalyptus contains eucalyptol. :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Conifer needles will also add to the acidity of the soil.:dunno::snork:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,281
      I just can not get compost to compost, no heat at all, I have recycled about six pints of lager an evening to the pile, and a couple of tots of Rum, but Zilch, I toss it I turn it, I add cardboard and grass cuttings, green food waste and newspaper, I just get sludge

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,230
        Peeing on it is supposed to help but I don't think it would be allowed where you are! :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          Woodworking is where I get my sawdust and shavings from. If this is during the summer, then I will do the 50/50 mix with grass, and add it to the compost. Normally this comes from untreated wood. As regards new treated wood, the chemicals used today are supposedly environmentally friendly. According to what I have been told, this should not really cause any problems. Older treated wood will though, as this still contains harmful chemicals. To be on the safe side, and having a distrust of "experts" I personally never add any kind of treated wood to the pile. Therefore, I would agree.

As regards cardboard and paper. Previous advice here was exactly as @shiney wrote. Not glossy paper. Or for that matter, packaging material. Current advice is no paper/cardboard products at all.

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Well, I'm very scientific in my approach to a compost heap........if it will decompose, and isn't food then it gets thrown on. I let it alone, don't turn it over, don't cover it and and take the good stuff from a opening in the bottom. It's served me well over the years despite the lack of care taken with it.
            I don't think I would add Pine needles or Pine wood to the compost because, in my opinion, it's too resinous to rot down reasonably quickly and I haven't the inclination to reduce it to sawdust etc:dunno::heehee:

[​IMG]
            [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2016
            • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,881
              The problem you have, Jack, is simple. The worms are too drunk to do their job.lol

• Funny Funny x 6
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                That might not be a bad thing if things such as rhododendrons, blueberries are grown. Here at least, aconites seem to thrive under coniferous trees.

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  Too much wet stuff.

• Like Like x 2