1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there an affordable medium for growing salad leaves, orientals etc?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ChilliPepper, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,980
    I use b&q mpc “verve”-their own brand as i really like the texture of it...has been consistent for me over the last 6 or so years. If I’m planting up more mature plants i’ll “invest” in John Innes no3 as it does make a difference I find.

I like the idea of sterilising and reusing-not tried that before, but I do reuse in a way as I empty pots of annuals onto the garden borders each year to contribute to improving my heavy clay soil.

• Like Like x 2
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      For seed germination I either use the baggy method or seived MPC with sand and vermiculite (this mix allows seedlings to be grown on in the pot for longer as the roots seperate easily when dunked in a bowl of water).
      For growing in pots I'm finding MPC mixed with Poundland coco coir, slow release granules, vermiculite works well with most things.
      Poundland sell cost effective vermiculite.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,980
        Just been to poundland - hardly any gardening stuff in the local one - no vermiculite, no coco coir - maybe after the valentines day junk is gone they'll bring in more gardening stuff. Went to wilko and bought some seed compost and vermiculite. (and a £1 climbing rose and £1 blood,fish and bonemeal from £land).

• Like Like x 1
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Mine neither at the moment. I did get a healthy looking root of Iris siberica 'Lavender' and a big packet of licquorice torpedos though!

• Like Like x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1