1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this clematis wilt?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by 2nd_bassoon, Jun 13, 2020.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    I've got a three year old clematis (Omoshiro) that flowered last month and has generally been looking fantastic until this week. I noticed 2 days ago that the leaves were looking a bit droopy, but given the torrential wind and rain at the time didn't worry too much; however closer inspection today and it's really not happy. All the leaves look like this - and it was filling out into a really nice busy plant until now.

2020-06-13 11.07.05.jpg

Every leaf has the shrivelled black stem, and some are starting to brown at the edges. I'm assuming this is clematis wilt - is there anything I can do other than cut it right back?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I hate giving you bad news, 2b, but it certainly looks like Wilt and, unfortunately, it would probably be best to "bite the bullet" and cut it back and then cover the rest of the plant with a covering of soil. Fingers crossed, you might find shoots reappearing with a couple of weeks if the Wilt is not too extreme. It only takes a slight bit of damage to a Clematis stem or even leaf to introduce a disease like Wilt and I have lost Clematis over the years to it but it's always been an isolated case in, say, around a 5 years period. In my experience, the loss/recovery ratio has been around the 50/50 level, but if you really like the Clematis then give it a chance to recover.
      Unfortunately, there is no chemical treatment to cure Wilt so the only treatment recommended is to cut it right back. As I mentioned before, a trick to help, is to cover the cut back Clematis with an inch or two of sand/compost/soil as Wilt does not appear to live below the surface which is why the recommendation is, when planting Clematis, to plant them about 3 to 4 inches deeper than the level in the pot. Let us all know how if the Clematis recovers.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,986
        Wilt is a lot rarer than people suppose. The more likely problem is that a slug or a snail has damaged the stem. Surprising how often this happens. Cut open a stem , if it has a purple stain in the middle then wilt it may be.
        Question. Did it droop from the top down or the bottom up?

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
          Ratings:
          +1,840
          Thanks both.

Unfortunately we'll never know - I move out next week! I was wondering mainly for my own education, and so I can try to work out what I did wrong (and how not to do it again!) I'll cut it back and hope it recovers for the next tenants.

I'm not actually sure - I first noticed the top was wilted, but when I looked more closely the whole plant was already affected. I've had an awful slug year here but checking the stem I can't see any obvious damage there.

• Like Like x 1