1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Isn't any peat in compost an environmental no-no?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Lone Northern Lass, May 22, 2020.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    All of my 2500 plus litres is Verve and I can't say that, over the years, I have ever had a problem.:dunno: I did once buy a 800 litre sack of compost from the Council which wasn't bad but I had to add so much Perlite, and Peat, after using it "straight" that it wasn't economical or worth the effort of adding so much extra material along with the increased feeding of plants.:wallbanging:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,488
      After the fiasco that we had with the Wickes compost the manufacturer replaced all ours with Jack's Magic. It was OK but we weren't particularly impressed with it. This year we have been using Verve from B&Q and it has been quite good. I've no idea how much peat is in it but it was sufficient for growing seeds and potting on. The people that buy the plants are happy with it - at the price we're able to sell them at :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • WoolyBack

WoolyBack Gardener

Ratings:
        +46
        Sue Beesley at Bluebell Cottage Gardens uses nothing but Melcourt Sylvagrow MPC not too pricey at £7 for 50L. I've used this a few times with good results. when I bought some at Bluebell gardens, the person serving advised that it had a tendency to dry out on the surface but stay wet further down so care was needed when watering. Overview from Ashwood Nurseries, West Midlands:
        "Melcourt SylvaGrow® is a unique blend of fine bark, wood fibre (bi-products of sustainably managed British forests) and coir (from a single, known source). It contains balanced nutrients sufficient for the first 4 – 6 weeks of growth. This growing medium is widely used throughout the UK by professional growers and is suitable for a wide range of uses around the garden."

I find this surprising as, I have only used their composts this year but I did use 4 different and found their quality superb. For tomatoes, I just dug one border spade square, filled with their compost and have excellent results. I have given them the occasional feed with comfrey but whether they needed it I don't know. One gardeners delight plant has 15 trusses (on 2 vines) with over 125 fruit developing on one truss. I potted some blue berries in their ericaceous compost that have thrived and now need potting on.
        If it was that poor, you should have got a refund/replacement or the price it is.
        They mix bracken and sheep's wool, no idea of the ratio. I was considering trying to make my own as I've a patch of bracken I could cut and can easily get sheeps wool, used to keep them myself till recently, may be next year now. Would need to cut in early summer as spores are carcinogenic.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,602
          Knowing the battle I've had trying to rid my garden of bracken I'm wondering if it would be inclined to re-shoot? I don't think I'd use it. As for wool, I'm allergic to it.

• Like Like x 2
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Bluebell Cottage Gardens is only about 12 miles away from me and I have visited it and bought plants from there several times and I would recommend anyone living nearby to visit it. I spoke with some of the Staff there last year and they gave no indication then, that they were solely using Peat free compost.:dunno:

Well, I guess. WB. that would cost me around £430 for the amount of compost I use which would not be economical.

Well, actually, WB, if you read my posts. I said I had trialed several, finding some to be poor but Jacks Magic to be not too bad as I said to pete. However, if you read the thread through several other members have stated their opinions on the available Peat Free Compost and several were not impressed by the compost they had bought and used. So I am not the only person, despite the focus on me, to believe them, after using and trialling various brands of Peat Free Compost, to be unsatisfactory, unreliable in quality, and not economical.

I trialed the various composts in order to get idea of the quality of Peat Free Compost against Peat Added Compost in order to get knowledge knowing it could be a loss to me financially so, knowing that, I was quite happy not to ask for a replacement or refund.

Well again, I'm not so sure of such a sweeping statement as that. I do know that the commercial Rose growers, of which there are many in Cheshire, do not use Peat Free Compost but of other commercial growers I cannot say.:dunno:

This discussion will only end, satisfactorily, when a reliable, good quality, Peat Free Compost comes on the market at an economical price and it's not just my opinion, but others who've contributed to this Thread, that that time has not arrived.:dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 3
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • WoolyBack

WoolyBack Gardener

Ratings:
              +46
              From their web site:
              "We only use peat-free compost at the nursery to pot plants on. Some of the young plants supplied to us in spring are grown by our suppliers in peat. If it is important to you to avoid all peat please ask and we will check for you."

• Like Like x 3
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                As I said I visited them last year so things can change and if they can grow their stock well on it good for them. I bought quite a lot of plants from them last year and all the plants were of high quality and their prices are not bad, but the one car width lane that you have to drive on to get to them is a little bendy and needs careful driving .

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,488
                I do try and test as many types of peat free compost as possible and I would have liked to try Melcourt products, but apart from it being a bit pricey for the quantity I need they have told me that my nearest supplier is just over 28 miles away. :dunno:

• Like Like x 3
                • WoolyBack

WoolyBack Gardener

Ratings:
                  +46
                  Over the years, I have used my fair share of peat based products, as well as a lot of chemicals that are now considered unsafe for both the environment and health.
                  As I am now aware of the harm caused to the environment from peat use and chemicals, I have changed the way I garden. The environment is not a nice to have, it is essential for life on earth. If the only way to have some plants in my garden was with these products, I would not have them. There are thousands (at the moment) of plants to choose from that don't require the use of chemicals or peat. Sue Beesley advises how she grows plants here: Perennial Plant Nursery at Bluebell Cottage Gardens, Cheshire

• Like Like x 7
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +46,155
                  • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
                    Ratings:
                    +2,381
                    We all garden differently now to one extent or another. Whatever old gardening books you pick up you'll read 'spray it with this, or spray it with that'. All written with good intention by some famous names. Commercial farmers still use masses of chemicals so it's nice to pick something you've grown yourself, knowing it's as organic as you can reasonably grow it.
                    When i was young I'd see insects splatted all over the 70's car windscreen which was a yearly spring event. That's a thing of the past.
                    Things have changed and not all for the better.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Agree Agree x 3
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      You'e absolutely correct, Jymi. One of my gardening Hero's was/is Geof Hamilton who when making a program for Gardeners World showed you the soil at Barnsdale and, over the fence, in a Farmers field. Barnsdale soil was full of worms, detritus, and fertile while on the other side of the fence in the Farmers field it was clods of hard "soil" with no life or in it what so ever. The only way the Farmer got his crops to grow was to use masses of Chemicals and Pesticides.
                      I have several books from the 19th Century written by Head Gardeners on what chemicals they used and those chemicals were so dangerous that they shortened the lives of the gardeners working on the Big House Estates.
                      My Great Grandfathers and their families worked on the estate of Chatsworth House, over the centuries, in Derbyshire as House Staff, Gardeners, Head Gardeners, Game Keepers, and even as Estate Managers and we have material telling how they lived, worked and what they used to grow food etc and not everything was "Paradise". But it's obvious from the tales that they knew how vital it was to work with the environment and Nature. That's maybe why I grow mostly Insect friendly hardy perennials, Shrubs, and the odd natural "weed", providing insects and the like to make proper food for Butterflies, Hoverflies, Bees of all kinds, Wasps and Flies, the latter which most people don't realise are great Pollinators in their own right.
                      I have at least 3 resident Hedgehogs in the garden who are quite happy to trundle around taking no notice of me working in the borders, and the Birds treat the garden like a food bank with flocks of Sparrows doing a daily patrol of the borders eating Aphids and the like as well as using the seven Feeders hanging from Trees and Shrubs.
                      So, it's not just nice of have wildlife in the garden, it's vital for the well being and natural balance of the garden. So, for me, I would rather ensure that I respect and encourage Nature and Wildlife, not using Pesticides but using organic fertilisers, rather than narrowly focusing on one environmental subject such as Peat extraction in, perhaps, the belief that it's more important than encouraging Wildlife of all kinds into our gardens and trying to keep the natural environmental balance. I would rather look at the bigger picture than think that the smaller focusing on one subject is more important.
                      So, Yes, we know about Peat extraction and it's effects on Peat Bogs and local Insect life but. as said so many times on this Thread, there is still not a reliable, quality, affordable Peat Free Compost on the retail market, despite the recommendations of certain brands, for the average gardener at an affordable price that they can happily use in the quantities they would like.:wallbanging::dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 3
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
                        Ratings:
                        +2,381
                        The late great Geoff Hamilton, yes I've got his book 'year in your garden'
                        He was ahead of his time with his sound organic methods.
                        If we all do our bit to garden as responsibly as possible then we'll all benefit long term. It can't be a perfect world with a click of the fingers but our own patch can be as natural as we can make it :smile:

• Like Like x 4
                        • Agree Agree x 3
                        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +85,979
                          Well just a few bits, but its not a good time of the year to be growing plants on, but I did sow some rocket and I potted on a few sweet william seedlings.
                          The results.:smile:
                          DSC00403.JPG DSC00402.JPG

I've not fed any of them.
                          The worst results were with John Innes.

• Like Like x 5
                          • Informative Informative x 3
                          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +46,155
                            They look the same to me, what brand peat free ?

• Agree Agree x 3