1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

It Pays to Complain

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    We've bought a lot of plants from Wyevale, our nearest garden centre and have always received good service. They do guarantee their plants. I never take anything back. I just take a photograph and present them with a copy and the original receipt. Amongst some other plants we bought this Avalanche Clematis, which wasn't doing particularly well and at £22 it wasn't cheap.

P1010257.JPG

I was there today, buying some hebes and they knocked £22 off my bill, without a murmur.

I've replaced it with another Maylene and replanted it down the bottom of the garden, it may recover, if it does, it's a bonus.

• Like Like x 2
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes, always "pays to complain" if service or product is not up to scratch.
      From a tv out of its 3 year warranty to a car that turned out not to be a "genuine one owner" car (it was an ex police mini many years ago and sold by a local garage) to shoes that lasted only 6 months to a sofa that started sagging after 2 years or so I never flinch from complaining. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,517
        Yes, always complain - but only if you have a genuine argument.

The tube went in our TV nearly six years after we bought it. The supplier refused to do anything, I came out with a good argument, they contacted the manufacturer who also refused, I drafted my argument for the small claims court and then the manufacturer fixed it free of charge.

Mrs Shiney's car was nine years old when a part broke in the gearbox. No helpful response from the manufacturer (retailer no longer existed), so I told them over the phone what my argument would be in court and they replaced the gearbox free of charge.

Lots of other things. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Items have to be "fit for purpose" and this is an important phrase to use in any complaint. Agree totally with Shiney.....we have consumer rights way beyond any declared warranty. And never allow the retailer to pass the buck to the manufacturer. His/her job to tackle the manufacturer/supplier; our contract is with the retailer :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
            Ratings:
            +246
            complaining is good and costs very little.

I had some plug plants from T&M arrive in terrible condition, about 25% of them were out of their plug and mushed all over the place. Emailed T&M and requested some money back, they sent the whole order again instead which I was happy with.

Also I complained to Quorn that one of their products was missing the microwavable instructions, they said it was a packaging fault and sent me 5 vouchers for free products at the store.

• Like Like x 1