1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

It's been and gone.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mike Allen, May 25, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Yep! It being the Chelsea Flower Show.

So did you actually attend, and endure the crushings of the crowds, or did you watch it on telly?

Well for what it's worth. I watched the odd bit on telly. Yes, the odd bit. It is difficult perhaps to explain, but, having basically grown up in horticulture, my take is this.

More and more, year after year, the show is being dominated by, design. Plants coming second. OK. This year there were more presenters, even our news reader was involved, but. The plants are real, the constructions are real but.....................................the presenters. All these folk popping in and out, blinding us with hand sign language, and saying nowt.

• Like Like x 2
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,497
      I've not watched any of it yet but have recorded it.

It's not quite over as today is the last day.

As one of our members said the other year, I have a choice on the Saturday of going to Chelsea at a cost of £107, plus parking, and being packed tight amongst all the others - or going to Shineyland at a cost of £2 (this is a 100% increase in entry price this year :rolleyespink:), free parking, ease of walking around, meeting lovely people, somewhere to sit comfortably amongst GC friends and discuss our gardens and gossip, watch the entertainment and have lovely cakes, tea, cream teas and Pimms. No contest! :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Yes Mike.....I am watching recordings of Chelsea :)
        For sure it is “artificial” and money is no object it seems esp for the displays yet I am enjoying the programmes :)
        A few Cornish growers have done well incl Kelnan Plants ......amazing restios, (I have a couple here from them) proteas and other South African Plants ......Burncoose nurseries and others so that has been interesting for me.
        New plant introductions always catch my eye that I will be determined to add to my garden:)

Alas I cannot make Shineyland but it sounds fantastic and I’m sure it will be a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Maybe next year I can make it:)

• Like Like x 3
          Last edited: May 25, 2019