1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Acer Seeds, Do they come true?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clum111, Aug 6, 2015.

1. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Hi,

Does seeds from acers come true, i.e. like the mother parent? Or will they grow into their genetic form, i.e. before the parent acer was crossed? Sorry, but I'm no good on the wording for this type of thing.

It's just, I noticed someone was asking on GC how to grow acer seeds and I've seen sellers on eBay selling seeds and I've also got acers that I would like to collect seeds from to try grow. But I've a feeling I've read somewhere they don't grow true.

2. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    I don't know clum but I reckon @whis4ey will know. Hopefully he will be along soon to help you out. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,066
      Not many seeds from varieties grow true of any plant.
      Its all about genes, but mostly I dont understand them.

Japanese maples are usually grafted in order to maintain the exact growth and leaf shape etc of the original.
      That's not so say you wont find anything interesting if you grow from seed, its just not likely to be exactly similar to the parent.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +803
        No, they do not grow true from seed in normal circumstances
        You can appreciate that the little bee who arrives to pollinate the flower on your acer has just travelled from a different acer, so you will get a different plant if you grow from that seed
        Experiments trying to isolate the parent tree have had some success with 'true to parent' seedlings, in trying to ensure that the bee that arrives has just come from another flower on the same plant. Not too easy to do in the normal course of events :)
        Grafting is thus the 'way of the pro'
        As Pete says .. you might get a lovely and unique new tree though :)

• clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
        +170
        Thanks @whis4ey @pete @Fern4

I thought this was the case and I didn't dreamt it:snooze: lol. Oh well, if I notice the seeds this year, I'll try it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1