Jasminum polyanthum after Winter

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kriss, Mar 11, 2019.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    683D227D-A469-477F-9B0D-309567E02F3B.jpeg Normally, each spring I buy two new Jasmine plants, but as we’ve had a mild winter.... do you think last years has survived? There is minimal discolouration.

Do these plants flower as strongly after winter? It’s one of my favourites in the garden, so I don’t nornally mind the expenditure!

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Hiya Kriss....reasonably hardy down here but I would get some fleece for yours:)
    Tuck it well into and around the plant if and when frosty or very cold conditions occur. I would actually double wrap it then.
    Remember to remove the fleece when normal conditions resume. Worth the hassle I think
    Yes, it will flower just as well as long as you can get it through to spring.:)
    Often it’s the spring frosts that can cause damage....after a fine, sunny early spring day the nights can often be severe

• Like Like x 1
    • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
      +79
      I chose not to fleece it for vanity purposes! We have a small garden so over winter it’s a bit of green.

Hence why I have tended to replace it each year with another established one.

Should I fleece the base of it for now?

Should I prune it back to encourage flowers or just leave it be?

Thanks

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,486
      No Kriss, don’t prune back now. No again, fleece all of it..top, middle and bottom.
      You can use the fleece evening time for night time protection only when very cold or frosty. Uncover early mornings so nobody will see it :)
      You can prune it in early spring, say another 4 weeks or so, to keep it in trim and compact because it is vigorous

• kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
      +79
      So although we are nearing the end of winter, you think it’s worth protecting it these last few weeks just to be on the safe size?

Thanks

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Of course. Severe frosts still possible, even likely. You are almost there ...shame to let late cold weather spoil everything:noidea: