1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jasminum Polyanthum

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by raymond-s, May 31, 2011.

1. raymond-s

raymond-s Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all. Probably being stupid but if you don't know you have to ask.
    I bought a Jasminum Polyanthum from Homebase recently but am unsure about what to do with it. It is about 3 feet tall but it looks like it has been turned back on itself when it got to this height and has grown downwards. Should I try to untangle it or is it meant to be like this.

There might be a picture attached if I have managed that.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hi Raymond-S

J. polyanthum is usually sold as an indoor plant in the UK as it is not very hardy and won't usually survive the winter outdoors. It should be happy outdoors until the first frosts, however. It's often sold wound around a wire hoop or support, but you can untangle it if you want - although doing this without damaging the stems or flowers might be a bit challenging. I'd leave it as it is. It'll start to grow up the new support you have given it anyway. Lovely smell! As far as I know it only has one flush of flowers, so it won't be in bloom all summer. The leaves are pretty, though.

If you want a reliably hardy jasmine to grow outside all year, the common jasmine, Jasmine officinale, is as tough as old boots. Fortunately it doesn't smell like them; it too has a lovely scent.

• Like Like x 1
    • raymond-s

raymond-s Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks Clare. Trust me to buy the wrong one. I'll stick it in the garage over winter although it will get down to 0 degrees in there probably but if it survives it survives.