1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping garden and the house clean... how do you manage?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, Apr 6, 2019.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    When I mop the floors in the kitchen and loos, I use a bit of vinegar in boiling hot water. That'll kill just about anything. Baking soda cleans the kitchen sink. And when I get gardener's toes, I soak them in a pail of soap and bleach. I don't use nail varnish so I must do this :redface: but hasn't happened yet this year. The ground is still mostly frozen to not much playing in the mud happening yet. :)

I try to clean the house once a week as though "company was expected".. well, I try..:noidea:

• Like Like x 6
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,095
      One has staff to help one..

douneside-team-photo-larger.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,617
        Lets clarify, keeping house clean, garden tended ( 3 acres ) and working outside the home 40 hours weekly, how do I manage. answer: none of it is perfect, its just that way. --- you learn to ignore. maybe when I retire. and adding, cooking all the meals, doing all the laundry. food shopping.

• Like Like x 5
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,374
          We are fortunate to have a fairly large lobby before actually entering the house with a floor to ceiling cupboard that houses the meters and shoes. Shoes are automatically removed before going into the house. All flooring is hard downstairs so is easy to keep clean . We have quite a few taps in the garden and each one has a large bucket placed under it to catch the flow. Nail brushes and soap are placed by the taps allowing an initial scrubbing of hands before coming into the house.
          We have a large potting area next to the greenhouse where all seeds are sown and plants potted up.
          We too wear gardening clogs that can be easily washed.

So really we don't have any real issues with keeping things tidy :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Ratings:
            +10,617
            Keeping things tidy, is an issue, I have a husband who does not know the meaning of that. I gave up chasing and arguing about it years ago. called ignored . He is one royal mess.

• Funny Funny x 4
            • Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              I am a council tenant and have been since 1964. So for major upkeep, that's down to them. I have always been a work-a-hollic until four years ago when I was diagnosed with cancer. Since then my psoriosis a 'companion' since the age of 21 has really become aggressive. My arms resemble some scaly anteater or the like, so I am constantly leaving a trail of dry skin deposits. Living on a bus route also means open windows are an invite for all sorts of dust and residue so daily cleaning is a must, plus I pefer to live clean.
              Taking into account my medical problems, I have taken to using latex gloves and rose thorn protective gloves, something I have never adhered to in all my years of gardening.
              My two bedroom flat is one floor up. Just inside my front door is where my garden boots reside.

• Like Like x 2
                Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                Ratings:
                +54,374
                I know the feeling well @redstar, my hubs often requires a gentle poke in the ribs reminder at times :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Funny Funny x 2
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,513
                  We manage but neither the garden nor the house are kept particularly tidy.

We are lucky in the fact that we have a utility room by the back garden. Inside the door is a large sink on one side and a toilet on the other. The floor is tiles and immediately inside the back door is a mat, covered in newspaper. We do not allow shoes inside the house, past that mat. so muddy shoes are removed and left on the newspaper. When they dry, if given enough time, the mud is removed (usually outside) and the paper binned. Some new paper then goes down immediately. So no garden comes into the house.

Most potting work is done on a plastic garden table (six seater). In the cold weather we wrap up warm and work on it in the car port (some smaller potting work is done in the greenhouse but there's not really any room to do it. If the weather is nicer the table is put on the lawn for us to work on. Being plastic it's easy to carry around. In hot weather we move it to the shade of the porch of the summerhouse.

The house is carpeted and we don't allow shoes to be worn inside. When guests arrive, at the front door, they take their shoes off and place them on a mat, made from the carpet, that is alongside the door.

So no, very little, dirt is brought indoors. The carpets are hoovered about three times a week but the dusting is a hit and miss affair. Everything else tends to be left lying around. :doh:

• Like Like x 6
                  • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +9,233
                    I try to keep the house clean, but it is difficult!

First of all, the drive is tarmac, and old. There are lots of small bits of stone, that get washed down the slope, to end up just outside the front door. (I say front door, but it is the only externally openable door - there are two patio doors, but they only have internal locks.) it is all too easy for them to be carried indoors. We have hard floors throughout - granite slabs in the hall and “uphill” downstairs, wood in the living room. What happens if I’m not careful - the bits of stone get wedged under the vacuum, and then scratch the wooden floor.

I try to wipe my feet on the external mat, then internal mat, when coming in, but I haven’t trained the hubby or dogs to follow suit! So I just sweep 2-3 times per week, and try not to get too upset by the mess!

• Like Like x 4
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
                    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                      Ratings:
                      +10,976
                      Hard floors and a dyson handheld hoover are a god send as i am always walking in the house in my dirty wellies. :redface: But have two dogs in and out all the time that the dirty wellies barely make a difference. With dog hairs too I whizz the dyson around twice a day-once first thing when I get up and then whilst dinner is cooking.

I do a quick mop over once a week unless wet muddy boots have been in.

Everynight before going up to bed the sides are all wiped down and cleared so when we get up all is nice and clean.

The best thing of all is the side boot-room/the workmans entrance. Keeps all the other muck away from the house.

• Like Like x 5
                      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                        Ratings:
                        +10,617
                        does not work, its the planning of visitors that do. he has the messy gene.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +8,320
                          My Daughter & Grandaughter live with me as she had no where else to go. Just them same here Redstar, let Dad clear up after you, wear the old ones out first:wallbanging:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +16,246
                            I wear Crocs for 95% of gardening jobs, so these are just kicked off before entering the house. For the plants I start indoors before going out to the GH, I just work tidy. And make sure any spillage is cleaned up before I incur the wrath of Mrs H.

• Like Like x 3