1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

KELWAYS

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jun 2, 2017.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Just received, today, from Sissinghurst the four Irises I ordered on the 31 May. I've already posted about Kelways and how, in my opinion, they were regarding, delivery, packaging and the quality of plants so I've been waiting in anticipation for the Sissinghurst delivery.

For comparision, Kelways Irises came within 4/5 days of ordering. They came in 1 liter pots and I'm more than pleased with Kelways. Unfortunately, when ordering from Sissinghurst I went straight to their Shop Page and missed some information about delivery and the plants, so I can't do a direct comparison.......my fault, not Sissinghursts:dunno:

The first bit of information I missed is that Sissinghurst only sell their Irises in pots at Shows and events:wallbanging: So I made the mistake of thinking I had bought them in pots while, in fact, what I got was bare root rhizomes. But having said that they were nice, clean, quality rhizomes....... and with a couple of the varieties I got a additional small rhizome in the pack.
    The second bit of information, mentioned vaguely in their Home Page, was that they don't just take an order and send it straight away as they state.......

"We will send out our Iris at most times of the year when we are confident they will arrive in good condition. Please note we do not send out plants whilst in flower"

So mine took 3 weeks to get to me which, when you think about it, is fair enough if a plant is taken out of the ground for the order as, when I ordered the plants, it was in the middle of flowering time. But, after seeing how Kelways had packaged their Irises in pots, I probably wasn't too impressed by the way Sissinghurst packed my order as it arrived in a "soft" cardboard box.

[​IMG]

The rhizomes had a small plastic bag around the roots with a plastic label and the name was hand written on it, with straw laid underneath and over the rhizomes, and, to be fair, the plants were in perfect condition.
    [​IMG]
    So, they're now all potted up.........
    [​IMG]
    So I can't make a direct comparison as Kelways grow their ordered Irises in pots while Sissinghurst send dry root [with comprehensive instructions:love30:] I got the impression that perhaps Sissinghurst aren't as sophisticated in marketing and packaging as Kelways but you get the feeling that they care about their plants, the quality of them, and prefer to send them without the extra problems and expense that sending pots in the post would entail. So, knowing what I know now, I would use them again.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,388
      Oups! Been away so missed the latest posts. I'm slowly working my way round the garden dividing old clumps (it's been much too hot and dry recently) so there'll be plenty of spares. I'll try to update the photos in the gallery to give you both an idea of varieties. There are too many to list.
      If there are any colours that you don't like, it would be easier to list them ;-)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks @noisette47 . Are you going to list them on this thread? Would you like to do a swap maybe? I have quite a few Iris already but ALWAYS room for more:) Would you like to do a swap? I have things like Martagon Lilies and Lily Pyrenaicum which might be of interest and would post fine (Pyrenaicum bulbs are huge:yikes:) or maybe if there are things you want just ask and I may well have.

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Errrrrrrr, no, noisette:dunno::heehee:

• noisette47

Ratings:
          +14,388
          :) Thanks,@silu , I wouldn't mind trying L martagon again now that I can provide some shade! But wait and see how much postage is likely to cost before committing....it's getting silly lately.
          @ARMANDII that simplifies things...everything except Codicil ;) Just don't complain to me that you don't know where to put them all! Will try to get parcels off to you both in the next couple of weeks, but bear with me.....my planning is getting more flexible by the month....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Obviously an "in" joke:). Do I dare say that I would be more than happy to relieve you of some Codicil? Am I going to regret saying this?:)
            Other bulbs I have which might be of interest, Galtonia, very large Alliums, flowers about the size of Grapefruits, also grow loads of Ensata Iris, have white with yellow flash (think the variety is Gold Bond). Think they like it quite wet but where mine grow may not be as dry as where you live:) but the ground is really pretty dry and they do fine. They are good from the point of view that they flower after the flags are finished, here anyway, so it extends the season of flowering Iris.
            Agree postage can be hellish so if you would rather I just paid you the postage on what you may kindly send me rather than doing a swap, that's fine by me. Just a thought. I have loads of the Iris in the photo. No idea which variety. A huge clump was given to me by nuns would you believe, years ago. They told me the variety had been bred by a nun but whether this is true who knows....do nuns tell fibs :snorky:? Anyway it's a great doer, probably the strongest grower I have. Only slight drawback is it does grow tall and can suffer if it's very windy here when flowering.
            025.JPG

• noisette47

Ratings:
            +14,388
            :biggrin: I do hope that nuns don't fib..that would be another illusion shattered!
            Armandii has just ordered/ received Codicil..hence the comment. It's not a very strong grower here but will see what I can find! I sowed seed of my ensata iris this year and have loads of little plants coming on. It will be interesting to see what the flowers turn out like. The parents are purple with a yellow flash and lilac/white striped. I grow them in the pond. Must cut and run now....spending too much time here and not enough watering / dividing iris ;):heehee:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Thanks, Noisette, much appreciated:love30:. Pm me when you want my address and please let me, at least, pay the costs of postage or whatever.:snorky:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            See!!!, I knew you were a "Lady of the Cloth":love30::heehee:
            [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1