1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Kilner jar question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Madahhlia, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    I used some kilner jars with glass lids held down by an orange screw cap a few days ago. I know my metal lids have sealed because the little dimple pops down. How can I tell if a glass lid has sealed?

Also, how do you get the orange screw caps off if you've done them up too tightly? Just given up struggling with it!

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    I have a couple with the orange screw lids ... sadly I have to ask t'other half to unscrew them ... :oopss:

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    If the rubber seal is new or anyway in good order and the clip metal bit works fine the jars should seal properly. If not i imagine you would see some bubbling when you immerse them in water.

If a screw top is done up too tightly insert a pointy knife under it and lift only enough to hear a little pop. Then it should come undone easily.

I probably did not catch exactly what you wanted to know but i tried.

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      I've been preserving again, this time I tried bean & tomato stew, pleased as I am with how easy it is to bottle stewed apple etc. I also cheated by using Bonne Maman jars instead of kilner jars.

Most of them have been OK but two have fermented, i.e. been bubbling when I opened the jar. They didn't smell bad but I haven't eaten the contents anyway seeing as the stew was made 6 weeks ago.

Seeing as fermentation is a natural process, used in sour dough, sauerkraut and many other foods, is it, in theory, safe to eat? What are the by-products of this sort of fermentation? Are my beans alcoholic? Will there be toxins as in bacterial spoilage? Should I screw the lid down again (one jar is now in the fridge) or is that asking for trouble? Can I just let it carry on bubbling like a sourdough starter? What will happen when the yeasts have eaten all the beans?

Only one way to find out some of these things....

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Ziggy is handy, and not fussy, for those sorts of experiments :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        OK Zigs, wanna try some of my bean vodka??