1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ladies' Spade

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by GordonSoul, Jun 1, 2010.

1. GordonSoul

GordonSoul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a ladies' spade as this is what my wife wants for her birthday, no less. :)
    As there are dozens of spades on the market, none of which leap out as being specifically better suited for the gentler sex, can I throw it open to the experts to give their view.

2. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    i think you might be looking for a border spade, slightly small than a 'normal' one - i use border forks and spades cos the big ones are too big for me

loopy

(5'3 and eight stone lol)

3. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    A spade for a lady you say ...? Will this do?

Im afraid I couldnt find one with feathers or crystals on.

[​IMG]

4. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Blimey, it looks like someone has been processing the photo in Photoshop or The Gimp and put a pink layer over that part of the spade. Come on, confess, you did do that didn't you?

5. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    go to the local library and look at some back issues of Which/Gardening Which - I'm sure they haveb reviewed these in the recent past.

Stainless steel is popular but best suited to non-stoney ground. Go for a Y or a D handle. Sorry but I use a long-handled Power spade and fork.

6. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Its genuine, I promise! :)

Had I fired up photoshop, my LadySpade� would have diamanté shoe storage PLUS a hair straightening attachment.

7. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
  8. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    have a look at the five star rated and then the customer reviews

loopy

9. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I guess this might sound daft, but I think you should take your dearly beloved to choose her own. I recently bought myself a new spade and (as has already been suggested) went for a border spade but it's surprising how much difference in weight there can be between different brands. I tried several - all with stainless steel heads - and some I could barely lift, others while being light enough, just felt 'awkward'.

Take her to a garden centre and let her choose her own spade - for extra brownie points you could throw in a few plants and lunch too! :hehe: