1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Large Plastic covered coldframes for £9.95

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Scrungee, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Saw these going for £9.95 at Argos and bought one.

1.88 x 1.44 x 0.80m high plastic covered tubular steel framed cold frame

[​IMG]

I have loads of timber sided cold frames with polycarbonate lights, but they're no good for temporarily putting over a raised bed over seeds/seedlings (solid walls too high), or for covering the likes of an early planted out pumpkins or marrows -2 would fit under this (as they're too big, heavy and sit on plinths).

I was also thinking of contstructing some plastic covered propagators for early use in polytunnels (sited in between raised hot beds), heated with tea light/flowerpot heaters, but as this has got about 9m2 of material, 42m of tubing, 26 push-together fittings, 4 zips, velcro closures, etc. all for <£10 it didn't seem worth the effort of making something myself. 1.2m wide would have been perferct for my 6 x 3m tunnel, so I may have to have asymmetrical boders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
    • Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Some of the reviews on the Argos website are rather negative, but with the addition of some duck tape on/around the fittings, and the addition of a few 'extra bits' (I've got loads of old gazebo poles/ fittings, etc. and I'm always pulling broken tent bits out of bins on campsites), I'm confident they will withstand whatever the weather can throw at them (yes, it is them 'them' now because after assembling the first one I've gone and ordered another 2 of them! Now I have to change some of my raised bed sizes before next spring.

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      :thumbsup: Thanks Scrungee, I have just reserved mine so collecting it tomorrow..! Perfect for my bed at the side.. :D

• sparky

sparky Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      How do you make Tea-light/flower pot heaters Please

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      http://heatstick.com/_Process.htm

http://pesn.com/2006/03/15/9600246_Candle_Power/

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-make-a-candle-heater.htm

I assembled one yesterday and now understand comments in reviews about ill fitting connectors, but all it needs is a narrow strip of 'duck' tape once around the tube to get a nice tight fit. Decided they're just that little bit too big for inside polytunnel use and I'll adjust/make new raised beds to fit them and fix pieces of vertical tube on the outside of the boards so it will simply drop down into place and skirts will lay flat on the ground around the outside of the bed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Thanks for that tip Scrungee.. I just collected mine earlier on but shan't be putting it together for a while.. I was going to check it was all there though so will write a note to myself on the box now... :D