1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Large pots - what plants?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Jul 25, 2005.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have run out of space in the garden so I have been filling reasonably large pots (12 inches) with plants - annuals, tender perennials and hardy perennials. I am using 70% general compost and 30% sand. I am watering and feeding them regularily.

My general feeling is that plants do much better in the bed than in a pot. I have two Acanthus in pots that are not happy, compared to my neighbour's which are in the garden. Does anyone know what type of plant will thrive in a pot and what will not, and what is the secret of keeping them happy.

Because I have no room I want to grow a Dierama seedling and other perennials in a big pot, but my instinct says they will not be so happy as in the ground.

2. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my entire garden is in pots :D

though I'm not very good at knowing what works best and what doesn't so I'll leave it to other people :D

good luck though [​IMG]

3. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    dierama need to be damp so do not let them dry out' acanthus in pots get mildew if they do tear off mildew leaves new ones will be fine, gaura, fuschia,zantedeschia,musa lasiocarpa{not basjoo},hosta ;pennisetum rubrum ;lantana. all are water and walk away plants easyto care for but beautiful

4. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    me again just been in garden some more ideas agapanthus headbourne hybrids but restrict pot size they thrive on being pot bound lemon verbena needs to be dry smells lovely' carex ogon, festuca glauca,euphorbia, diascia[hardy] ophiopogon nigrescens,good luck 'when done stand back and enjoy.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Many thanks for your help. My objective was really to put some of my existing plants into pots. But I think I am going to have to go out and try some of those grasses as well.