1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn mower deliberately set underpowered?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by BanzaiRun, Sep 21, 2016.

1. BanzaiRun

BanzaiRun Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Mountfield RV40 (B&Q special), while performing a minor service on it I pulled on the governor and got some insane revs from the engine. At least twice the power of the mower on full throttle, to the point where I was uncomfortable at how fast it was running!

So, are mowers deliberately set to underperform on full throttle? Or has the cable simply slipped in the 10 years I've had this mower?

Thanks.

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    Hi @BanzaiRun and welcome to GC :sign0016:

I am no expert, but I would reckon that there would be a degree of limiting going on; most lawnmower engines are two stroke which will happily rev themselves to destruction if allowed (the brother of a friend of mine had a Yamaha 125 trials bike years ago, and the throttle was more like an on/off switch - bloody lethal thing it was).... anyway, I digress.... you don't want a lawnmower that is revving its nuts off, as it would certainly shorten its lifespan. Also, don't forget that as the blades are cutting they are coming up against resistance, and to overcome that resistance the engine's torque is key (torque is turning force, whereas revs are turning speed) - more often than not an engine's peak torque arrives lower down the rev range and then tails off as the revs increase - in short, loads of noise but not as much action. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • BanzaiRun

Ratings:
      +4
      Yes, that does make sense. I do notice it gain power as it attempts to swathe a stripe through the mossier parts of my lawn.

Thanks. :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
      • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Some of the commercial boys would increase rpm to increase forward speed on self propelled mowers but it's not recommended as it puts stress on the moving parts and some of the safety features as well as extra heat.
        Some manufacturers do pulley kits to increase forward speed while keeping speed at the recommended rpm. My Etesia is setup up each year for 3000rpm or there abouts.
        When increasing rpm you increase noise levels and vibration increases which is not good for long term use both to machine and your health if you are spending hours per day cutting.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          Assuming the engine is a B&S, then engine revs are, as you mentioned, regulated by a governor. Its a spring loaded flap that is moved by the cooling airs passing. Now and again, they do sieze and cause problems. However, as you say yours can be moved, theres nothing wrong.

The idea is, when the engine is under load, the engine rpm reduces, which causes the flap to close, which in turn opens the throttle to bring the revs back up.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,954
          Also set for emissons and the decibles
          To help keep sundays a little more peasefully :snorky:

• BanzaiRun

Ratings:
          +4
          Thank you all.