1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawnmowers

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Fat Controller, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,503
    It is kinda looking as though I am in the market for a new lawnmower as mine broke doing its final cut (chew) of the season.... in fairness, we've had it 9 or 10 years, so I suppose I can't complain really,

Current one is a Bosch Rotak 40 which until now has been an excellent machine, so off the bat I suppose it is fair to say I am leaning toward Bosch - but, open to suggestions here.

Any recommendations?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,060
    My son recently got a battery one but I can't for the life of me remember make/model. It's very lightweight and makes a good job. He only has a small lawn and I've used it, much easier than messing about with a cords. If you are considering battery ones I can find out what he has.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,503
      I am firmly in the unsure camp with them to be honest @JWK - the battery ones seem to be a lot more expensive and I am worried about how the batteries will perform in terms of longevity, especially as they sit unused in a shed all winter. No harm in asking if you are speaking to him and I can take a look though.

For sure, not having a wire would be handy.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      FC I bought a new lawnmower just over 12 months ago. Had a Bosch Rotak then a B & D . I was looking for a Bosch cordless very expensive but non about during lockdown. I settled on the Spear and Jackson sold by Argos. They sell them in a couple of sizes. It comes with 2 batteries so loads of power and is a dream to cut the lawn with, I could never go back to a corded one. The build quality is a little on the light size, but if you are not throwing it and out of a truck this is not a problem :dbgrtmb:
      https://www.argos.co.uk/product/736...2C0UFseYMBJ1wuVVOXMaAifQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like Like x 2
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I think mine is the 42cm with 2 x 36v batteries. They do a range from £150 - £320 .

• Like Like x 1
        • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,259
          I’ve got a Viking battery mower running off the Stihl batteries. Couple of years old now and is thrown about doing lots of little jobs. I asked Stihl about the amount of charges before it drops to 80% capacity and they claim 2500 charge cycles. So far I’ve not noticed any performance drops.
          I must confess though during the winter months the batteries are stored inside rather than my garage.
          Previous to that one I had a Bosch battery model which must’ve lasted around six years and was really abused until the day it went pop. The weak point on the model I had was the circuit breaker which I bypassed in the end.
          And there is no doubt the Viking is built better and has better performance but I would personally like to see the price drop a bit on battery technology. The problem with the Viking was you have to buy the mower then the batteries and then the charger. It worked out about the same price or a bit lower than some of the petrol mowers are use but of course you don’t have to have it serviced and running costs are a lot lower.
          Their Achilles heal though is wet grass cutting where they just can’t compete and if you have a longish lawn and it’s wet you will see the drain on the battery quicker.

my only gripe with battery tools is when a manufacturer changes the design of the battery and I have a range of tools that work off these batteries. It’s a great idea but if you change your battery takes place and you can’t get hold of the old batteries or replacement of tools that use the type of battery you have you have to start all over again.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,060
            This is the one my son got

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4162449

My next one will be a Bosch because I have a couple of batteries for their power tools, drill, circular saw and a strimmer. Interchangeable tools using the same battery are a great idea.

• Like Like x 3
            • HarryS

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Interchangeable batteries are a great idea.
              The chargers and batteries I have:-
              Spear and Jackson
              Bosch
              DeWalt
              Black and Decker
              Its all a bit of a tangle on my workbench, and you must make sure you have plugged the right on in.

• Like Like x 2