1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Laying Turf on New Build Top Soil...

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by RDM0801, May 16, 2022.

1. RDM0801

RDM0801 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon all,

Need some advice, looking at laying new turf on top soil left by our builders in the back garden - around 140m² worth.

Looking at compost and whether I need to rotovate new compost into the existing to help prepare it for the new turf. Any advice on which compost is best? Do I need to rotavate new compost into the existing top soil - does that help? Planning on laying a couple of lengths of french drain to help with drainage but nothing major on that front.

Been looking at mushroom compost to improve the existing soil. Once that's added and rotavated in (or not, if the case may be), is it just a case of compacting it in preperation for laying the turf?

Look forward to contributing to this board!

Cheers

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

There is a Lawn section to the forum where you might find some good tips and where some of our lawn gurus reside like @Liz the pot
    Lawns

As for your lawn, we would first ask what kind of top soil is it, sandy, peaty, clayish ? and does it really need expensive compost adding ?

Second how deep is the top soil and whats beneath it, clay ?

Assuming it reasonably level, what it might be worth doing using a long garden Fork and go around the area pushing the folk deep down and seeing if it hits any rubble or bricks that would be better to remove before the turf is laid.

• Like Like x 1
    • RDM0801

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the reply Ricky!

The soil looks half decent to me (novice gardener). We’ve had a dry spell recently so it looks good just now. There is what I would consider clayey clumps on top which I guess is a result of the builders stripping the soil for use in the gardens.

Do you think my plan may be overkill?

My garden is pretty level, only a small corner seems to have a slight fall but I reckon that’s more to do with not being enough top soil.

Thanks again for the reply.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,509
      How deep is the top soil and has it been compacted by heavy machinery ? The top soil should be at least bare minimum 10cm ideally 15cm + of free draining soil . Personally I'd wouldn't be added compost unless you have a serious clay problem, it can make the lawn spongy, and mushroom compost is a no no most grasses prefer a more acidic or at least neutral PH levels , mushroom compost has a alkaline PH .

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • RDM0801

Ratings:
        +0
        I’m not sure how deep it is I will investigate and report back.

If not mushroom compost, would manure be better?

Thanks for the reply Perki!

• RDM0801

Ratings:
        +0
        Sorry should also add that it didn’t look badly compacted the day we moved in and then they’ve since come in and rotavated it.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,509
        I'd see what soil you have before amending it. Yes manure or multi purpose compost can be used if you wish.

• RDM0801

Ratings:
        +0
        I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel trenches for peace of mind) then that's what I'll do!

To me, the topsoil just looks like soil with a few 'hard to break by hand' clumps of what I would say clay. The rest is easy to dig through, soily material.