1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leggy lavender

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jervis, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My lavender has been growing happily for about 10 years in a container but is now very woody and leggy. Is it possible to save it by pruning hard back as I've seen suggested on the Norfolk Lavender website? Or should I just give up on it and root some new cuttings?

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Jervis. Mine did the same some years ago. I pruned hard back and it came again with nice new shoots. I did take some cuttings though before hacking it, just as insurance. I was very popular at my local club and amongst some neighbours, when I was giving away lavender. I suspect the local garden centre would have hated me if they'd known. :mad: [​IMG]

In other words, do both. It costs nothing. [​IMG]

3. jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great! Thanks very much - this bush is particularly gorgeous and I'd be sorry to lose it. I'll have a go at the weekend!

4. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Another way, which has worked for me, is to dig the entire plant up, dig the hole deeper and then replant, burying the plant leaving just this years growth above ground. I tried it with a potted lavender and it worked a treat.

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I planted a border of lavender along our pathway last year and was amazed how much it grew, after it finishes flowering I'm going to chop it down quite a bit to keep it nice and tidy.
    Good luck with yours Jervis.
    Helen.xxx.

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Helen, just cut it all back to the old wood. Don't cut into that, especially if you only planted it last year. I do cut mine back hard to almost the old wood every year & they come back lovely & bushy each year... Good Luck.. [​IMG] Not tried the burying method glen, but if it works then great idea.. [​IMG]

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Marley thanks for the advice I think I made a mistake and got the wrong lavender for the place I put them... can't remember which one it was but it's kinda like 'Vera' as I have one of these as well.

My Vera has grown really well this year too but nothing like the lot along the pathway maybe I should have planted some french lavender instead?

I'ave gots some of them too so I might take cuttings of them, as the site is a lovely sheltered spot!
    Helen.xxx.

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi Helen, sounds like one of the English lavenders then Helen. "Munstead" is close to "Vera". I actually prefer the English lavenders to the French. I know they are a little more fussy & slower growing, flower early & all that, but the French ones always seem to grow so fast..!! I cut off all the spent flower heads as they finish then prune later.

Here is what Mountain Valley Growers say.

[​IMG] Do take cuttings as a Lavender hedge always looks & smells lovely.... ;)

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would like a white lavender (or 6) but couldn't find one locally last year. Anyone got any advice? Oh, and I know it isn't exactly an exotic but Boss lady loves it (and I must admit) so do I. Please note I do NOT want my knickers smelling of it. [​IMG]

10. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Marley,

Thanks for posting that, it was very interesting especially showing the picture with names. My plants this year are new and I'm always tentative about pruning. There is a cottage in the next village with the most stunning lavenders in pots outside the front door. The lavender spikes just shoot out and flower. I noticed last year they were pruned into balls just larger than a football so I did that with mine but they went downhill. My two new ones are still flowering but hopefully I will have better luck pruning them.

Sarraceniac, one of mine in pots is pale blue with lovely long white "butterfly" tips. It came from my local garden centre and although not all white (or local!) I'll have a look for the label if you like.

TO

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that great info Marley I think you are right about it being Munstead all your information points to it and it does look like the image, mine does seem to be really happy where it is too!

Helen.xxx.

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds interesting TO. If you can find out what it is I could possibly source one.

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] T&O the Lavender balls are usually the Spanish "Stoches Lavender"... It lends itself to the ball shapes well.
    Stoches, or Spanish Lavender, is always the first to bloom each season. It doesn't dry as nicely as Grosso or Hidcote, but it surely is welcome as the first lavender of the year..!!!
    I don't have a pic of a ball shape but here it is as a normal plant. You can see the flowers though...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] When you cut them back don't cut them too severely the first time.. Make sure you don't go into old wood. Then next year remove spent flower heads & keep a good shape during the year. Then cut back again at the end of the season.... Well that's my routine anyway.... :rolleyes: [​IMG]

14. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That makes sense Marley because those shrubs did flower well before mine did. Mine are still flowering so I'll follow your advice and give them a light clip this year.

Sarraceniac, I'll have a look in my shed for the label.

TO