1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leylandii Hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fumanchu, Apr 12, 2018.

1. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +432
    Hedge belongs to the house next door, is about 5ft high but east side of my garden so doesn't bother me much. I get plenty sun from noon onwards until sundown. But I have a 2ft wide border along that hedge and am constantly buying plants for it and losing them after one season. Might it be the hedge draining all the goodness out of the soil? Are there any plants that would thrive in there?
    Sorry for the barrage of questions recently, just this year I've made my mind up to sort out this garden before we get too old and decrepit to manage!
    :spinning:

2. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    I found this article which may help:

Leylandii hedges are thirsty and impoverish the soil, but there are plants suited to poor conditions
    It was with a touch of devilment and not a little boredom with the recurring subject of Leylandii hedges and the trouble they cause that a few weeks ago I challenged readers to come up with some plants that grow well near them. As sufferers know, the soil within several feet is dry and impoverished and attempts to improve it generally result in faster-growing Leylandii. Furthermore, the need for annual (or possibly twice-annual) trimming means access to the hedge has to be clear, so nothing precious or sensitive to trampling feet can be grown at its base. For the same reason, these hedges make poor climbing frames for other plants that might relieve their dullness. I am grateful to all who responded when clearly many of you were away from home. So, what came out of the woodwork, you may ask?

Reliable ground-cover

From readers too numerous to mention came reliable ground-cover plants that, in better conditions, might become invasive, such as evergreen small-leafed periwinkles (Vinca minor), of which the least likely to cause problems are the variegated varieties, and Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiae. Small euonymus, bergenias and Geranium phaeum'Album' and Geranium macrorrhizum all got the thumbs up, as did minor thuglets such as Welsh poppies and the yellow-flowered Corydalis lutea. (This runs amok in damp ground, but behaves itself in the dry soil near conifers and although it is not trample-proof, it seeds around satisfactorily, becoming a more or less permanent summer fixture). Variegated ground elder also has fans.

Interesting options

Many of you favour growing giant, undemanding nasturtiums up big, dull hedges each summer. One reader who confesses to love her huge Leylandii hedge, but who wants to remain nameless, grows hellebores under hers, and also encourages a golden hop to shin up it. Another anonymous reader does something similar with Chinese virginia creeper (Parthenocissus henryana), and relishes its dramatic autumn colour.

Perhaps one of the most interesting suggestions comes from a lady who grows a robust ground-hugger with wavy-margined glossy leaves, white flowers and low arching stems covered in dense red bristles – a bramble relation, no less – Rubus 'Betty Ashburner'. I grew the similarly accommodating Rubus tricolor on a dry bank under larch trees in my old garden, where it did brilliantly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      I think you are spot on fumanchu....the hedge is draining the border of moisture, nutrients and all the goodness out of it. The hedge will continue to do that and dominate things there
      However, I would go for plants that will thrive in poor soils and sun.
      Have you considered lavendar? Should thrive there.
      Nepeta too.
      Santolinas are delightful aromatic silver grey evergreens needing only an annual trim to maintain shape and density.
      Helichrysums...the curry plant.....penstemons, eryngiums, euryops, sedums, veronicas, hardy shrubby salvias, achilleas, grasses like stipa arundinacea, festucas, etc., etc., all immediately spring to mind :)

• Like Like x 3
      • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
        Ratings:
        +432
        Busily writing all these plant names down, ty both. Lots here that I have never heard of!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +957
          red or white valerian has naturally seeded underneath mine, even in shadier conditions. Thanks to the birdies.

• Like Like x 3
          • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
            Ratings:
            +432
            Oh that's a very pretty and useful wee herb, thank you. Great idea.

• Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
            Ratings:
            +246
            Just out of interest, but couldnt one dig on the edge of your garden and then put in a bunch of slabs on their side about 2 foot down so that the roots cant easily come through your side? then fill with soil and plant.

As I understand it, you can freely chop off any roots that come onto your land.

• Like Like x 2
            • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
              Ratings:
              +432
              We're both old and infirm Carliennon, we can't lift slabs. I was thinking though - if I really wanted to I could have a local joiner make me a big planter for the fussy plants, and put in tough plants all round it.

• fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
              Ratings:
              +432
              Not been well enough recently to really get stuck in, but have put in some cranesbill and some lavender, and am getting some Veronica (which I love)... so that's a start made :spinning: