1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lifting & Potting up plants before moving house

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clum111, Jul 16, 2013.

1. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Hi,

I know its a long way off, but I want to be prepared. Next spring time I'm hoping to move house and I want to take some of my plants. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on when, how, pots, etc.

I've a Japanese Garden and a Rose garden and I want to move:-

A standard rose and a few rose bushes.
    A 1.5m Acer.
    3 x 0.5m Acers.
    Quite a few ferns and hostas, some hostas are miniature.

Any advice would be great.

Regards,

Cal

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'd say dig them up and pot them in late autumn, but keep them well protected from the cold, remembering that if they've been in the ground, their roots will have been better insulated against the cold than will be the case in pots.

One question springs to mind though. If you're selling your house, I hope it wasn't the garden that clinched the deal, otherwise I can see some disappointed buyers once they realise you've taken the garden with you:heehee:

3. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    If you are looking for some decent pots to keep them in, I can recommend these.

You need to dig out as much of the root ball as possible, so may need a large pot for some of them.

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Unless the plants in question were specifically excluded from the sale and that was written into the contract then they belong to the house and may not be removed legally. You could be prosecuted. Plants in pots are counted as furniture and are ok to take.

5. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Thanks for your advice. One question though, if I leave the hostas till the back end, I might not remember where they are or even damage some. Would I be better lifting them just before they go to ground?

BTW. I haven't put my house on the market as yet, so it isn't a problem;) Hence the reason getting the plants I want sorted first.

6. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    You could put some sort of markers in the ground next to the Hostas so you know what's what :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
      +170