1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ligularia stenocephala 'The Rocket' - leaves going all wilted and brown?!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Greengarry, May 2, 2011.

1. Greengarry

Greengarry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have grown 'Ligularia stenocephala The Rocket' for years and it has always been a really successful plant. However this year something has started happening to it that I have never witnessed before. It was doing really well up until 2 days ago when I noticed many of the leaves wilting and then turning brown. Obviously I have had to remove them but can anybody help as to the cause? It has been extremely windy over the last 3 days so not too sure if this is the reason - I have 3 plants in total and 2 have been hit, one really badly! Does anybody know anything about the plant and why this has happened?

Thanks

2. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Mine are all wilting too Greengarry,not good weather for bog plants, its just so dry even in the boggy area where mine are planted, mine do seem to perk up a bit in the evening when the sun goes down,off to get the hose out later to try and wet them a bit, the brown could well be scorching from the wind.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    They really don't like long dry periods or strong drying winds so that may be the cause.

Try keeping them sprayed regularly with water and see how they go.

Also try googling pests and diseases for ligularia and see whether anything comes up. They are usually very easy to keep with very little that attacks them.

4. Greengarry

Greengarry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys - I think your right, I know they love the boggy environment and generally over water them for this reason. However its reassuring for people to confirm the wind could be the cause. I am sure they will come back because they are normally so hardy. One of the few plants I have managed to find that grow extremely well in the shade and where I live - very high up in the Pennines.....

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Yes, wind can be a nuisance. I have that problem sometimes. :heehee: :loll: