1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lilac Bush

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mick, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Im working in a garden at the moment which has a lilac bush which i reckon is around 10-11ft tall. Its getting out of shape and probably too high for where it is sited. Can anyone give me some of your knowledge as to when/how i should prune it and how much can i remove in height without causing too much distress.

Thanks.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Mick, :scratch: Well this is what I do with mine.. When the flowers begin to fade, remove them from the Lilac Tree. ( I know this has happened for you now). This will stop the plant putting unnecessary effort into producing seed. So if there is any seed set clip all that off now.. Lilac trees should also have any suckers removed, these will only sap strength from the tree.[align=left]In mid-Autumn, prune away any crossing or diseased / weak branches. The Lilac Tree can also be trimmed to shape each year. To rejuvenate a Lilac Tree that has been neglected, cut it back to 1 metre (3 feet) high. The plant will start flowering in two to three years time.Sounds drastic but I had to do it to mine & now it is just staring to get some shape too it again.. Good Luck.. :thumb:
    [/align]

3. mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Once again thanks MF :gnthb:

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: My pleasure mate..

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I don't recommend the method but in my last garden I had a lilac which was about 20 feet tall. It blew over in a storm. I sawed it off at ground level. 2 or 3 years later it was up there and flowering.
    Tough stuff.