1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

LILIUM LATE MORNING & I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fern4, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    Ok so I have 5 Lilium "Late Morning" bulbs which came in a mix of other bulbs.

I've never grown Lilies before and the instructions on the card are a bit sparse to say the least.

I've had a Google and have found that some lilies need ericaceous compost and I'm not even sure what sort of Lily "Late Morning" is!

I found an American site which says they're something called an Orienpet Hybrid Lily which grows 6ft tall :yikes:. The card that came with the bulbs themselves says it grows to 70cm. :dunno:

I'm wondering if the bulbs I've got are different to the American ones of the same name? All I really want to know is what type of compost to plant them in? Does anybody have any ideas?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      nice Fern , I would use a mix half multipurpose half john innes no 3 with added grit if you have any plus the weight stops it toppling over if planting in a pot half fill with the compost mix and position the bulb slightly on its side facing towards the sides of the pot and one in the middle facing upwards , its a tall one like African queen so I think about 5 feet depending on the size of the bulbs but its not the giant one's

I have grown this one years ago and its very pretty and smells very strong.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +7,491
        Thanks Spruce.....I'll get them sorted in the next couple of days. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
        • philomel

philomel Pottering in SW France

Ratings:
          +846
          It's the Orientals that need ericaceous compost, but, although orienpets have orientals in their make up (crossed with other trumpet lilies) they don't need acid soil. Good luck, looks lovely :spinning:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +7,491
            Thanks philomel....I'm looking forward to seeing them grow. It's always fun growing something I haven't tried before. Hopefully they'll do well. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1