Lily beetles

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by NigelJ, Apr 2, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    OMG I have joined this miserable club! today for the 1st time ever I have found a b Lily Beetle. I 1st thought "oh a Ladybird", then looked again:yikes:. hell's teeth and buckets of blood. Where the hell has this come from? I have not bought plants from any outlets to have imported them and I am surrounded by farmland. A neighbour about 1/2 miles away grows a few Lilies but apart from that there are no Lilies that I know of for miles:scratch:.
    I grow MANY Lilies. Maybe if they are really bad I will have to rethink. The damned thing was on 1 of the lilies featured below. I've had these for a good 6 years and not a sign before:rolleyespink:.
    IMG_2636.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      I've noticed that!
      I've discovered two pairs "at it," in the last week. I've killed about seven in the last few days. Checked just now and didn't see any. Given all the lilies another spray.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      A spray ....sorry a chemical insecticide!...applied 2 weeks ago and no sign of beetles or damage since
      Organically, there is very little we can do to control lily beetle. We can squash the odd one we see, or try to.....they quickly fall to the ground and disappear....but it wont make much difference to the damage they will cause
      I dont like chemicals in the garden but I grow lots of lilies and want to keep them so...:noidea:

• Like Like x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +20,951
        I wouldn't want to worry any one; but I just removed a lily beetle from a dahlia, are they branching out?

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,834

I found them on Japanese Anemones, Peonies, Aster, Nigel, it might just be that they were just resting there while searching for Lilies.
          I've actually given up growing Lilies as the Lily Beetle was there on them every year and I will not use Chemical insecticides that threaten beneficial insects, despite how carefully you use them, for the sake of one species of plants. Having said that I have spotted two or three Lilies that are growing in large pots where I thought I dug them all out of.:doh::wallbanging: , they won't be there next year.:heehee:
          The only "safe" way to use sprays, [when I did do years ago], was to place a large black plastic sack/bag over a plant, make a hole in the top and then spray into the sack/bag which contained the sprayed chemicals within it.:snorky:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,486
            Yes, they do attack other plants too. Alas! :sad:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              Here they have a go at Frits, some Hemerocallis, Commelina and (most unforgivably) Tricyrtis.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                Ratings:
                +5,404
                Ditto @ARMANDII

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  This might sound a bit of a 'TALL' story but about eight years ago whilst my wife was still alive, I went to check the greenhouse. There was snow on the ground and the rhododendrons, it was probably due the brilliant red against the snow that gave the little beasties away. So being the kind nature lover that I am. No way could I allow them to freeze to death so I dispatched them swiftly. My dear wife raised an eyebrow probably thinking I was joking. I was able to verify the act by showing the stains on my finger and thumb.
                  So at least these rwo weren't fair weather bugs (gers). I have never seen one inflight, but they obviously take to the air.
                  This year I have only seen two in the garden.....shame they were so short lived. I don't like chemical warfare in the garden but, specie lily bulbs can cost an arm and a leg so at times we may need to turn to the bottle..(pesticide)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1