Liquid feed

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by JJ28, May 6, 2018.

1. JJ28

JJ28 Gardener

the best - retired
    Ratings:
    +772
    Thank you for the very helpful replies. I will hold fire on the seaweed until later in the year then use as a mulch. Strawberries had tomato feed last night and it will be chicken pellets dug in everywhere else as and when. :-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,124
      Ooh yes @JJ28 i forgot to say Autumn to mulch with the seaweed. Thanks @Verdun :thumbsup:

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,707
      Coming to this rather late in the day, I agree with the recommendations to improve the soil before feeding the plant, but do make a simplified version of this Making Compost Teas. See How to make Liquid Soluble Fertilizer from Manure, Comfrey and more. during the summer. Plants in pots and anything else that I think needs a boost get watered with a dilute solution of that weekly. I don't have nettles or comfrey available but this works pretty well and doesn't usually get smelly either.

I used to make it by just suspending a shovelful or so of soil from the bottom of the compost bin in a bag in a full watering can, leaving it for a week or so, and then pouring the "tea" into my other watering can as needed. The pillowcase in the link soon rotted - a nylon daffodil bag worked much better. Now I am using a big old bucket with a mop attachment, which is excellent for filtering out any bits from the tea when it's ready.

I know the OP's found her own way forward for this year but hopefully that will help someone else!