1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

little flying black bugs eating my dhalias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by miriam, Jun 13, 2011.

1. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all
    My dhalias are infected with tons of little fliying black bugs dont seem to be able to find a picture to show you they dont look very friendly and they are reproducing very quick, they are now flying to my liles and pantsies also!! they seem to gather around the stem of the flowers any advise on how to get rid of them?

many thanks

M.

2. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    This year I had a couple of Foxgloves appeared in my front garden close to my large Dahlia.
    I noticed that the Foxglove was covered in Blackfly. None of my other Foxgloves at the rear had any infestation at all.
    The Dahlia had no infestation either.

I assumed the Foxglove had attracted the beasties first - dug it up and binned it.

There is still nothing on my Dahlia, some 2 weeks later.
    The moral is plant a foxglove first and get rid of the Blackfly!

Mind you - it may just have been a coincidence?:scratch:

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    actually, Gcc, perhaps you were a bit hasty:D :heehee: If that one Foxglove was attracting the Blackfly leaving the rest of your plants clear I would have left it to do just that and occasionally sprayed it with soft soap or suchlike to get rid of the swarm on it, so that it could keep on keeping the other plants clear.:D:DOH:

4. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i tried water and soap and it doesnt work :S

5. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    That's a real strange one:rolleyespink: I've never seen blackly on Foxgloves maybe it's just I haven't been in the right place at the right time:o

6. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    No, you're right soap and water usually won't work.:D But if you can get Soft Soap from your Plant Nursery, or B&Q, and spray that it should work. Or if you don't want to do that use a systemic insecticide spray:thumbsup:

7. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks I have read to put some soap and cooking oil into 1 lt of water as they will slide down, will have to go shopping for Soft soap and you recommended it I dont want to kill my Dhalias
    M.

8. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Miriam, I've not heard of the water, soap and cooking oil before so I can't comment on how effective it might be. I do get a mental picture of the blackfly showering in the soap and water and then cooking chips with the oil though.:heehee:

I've recommended Soft Soap as it is a "gentle" way of spraying pests and, in the main, works well. As I said before, failing that, use a systemic insecticide.:D

9. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    lol thanks Marmandii, i saw thelittle creatures slipping down or flying away, I did this 2 hours ago and now i can see some have come back, the flowers didnt take it very well and they now look sad...
    i definitely have to go to B&Q to try something else
    M.