Little white hairs killing everything

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Hattyfatner, Oct 6, 2018.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,314
    Tomato seed lies dormant for years fairly often.
    not sure what you mean by dropping figs into the pots, If they were figs you bought they are likely to be seedless.

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Ok my take on this as a self confessed apprentice gardener and no offence is meant in anyway, I think basics is I use pharmaceutical products for my health and well being, I use veterinary products for the health and wellbeing of my pets, and I use horticultural products for my plants, I'm not saying there aren't any crossovers but it's maybe the norm, I have spent many an hour on the internet searching for answers to my garden questions hence this is why I joined this forum so you have a great start, there's a lot more experienced and intelligent people on here than me who can identify plants and problems but I would always either ask or research myself before I came up with or used strange solutions, once again I don't mean to offend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hattyfatner

Hattyfatner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      So was I. I wasn't sure why the leaves did not look like fig leaves but I think the tomatoes had actually been sitting in the pots just one winter and sprouted late to grow fast from about 3 months ago until about a month ago when they began to die back I suspect from cold.

So none of the figs I dropped in there (collected from a mature tree nearby) germinated at all. So sad. But actually happy too as I don't care about tomatoes. I will try again in years to come to grow a fig tree from figs dropped on the pavement.

What is interesting is how the mouth wash removed the hairs so effectively. Not simply matting them down but removing them entirely...

I think maybe tomatoes are an infested plant and the hairs genetically alter the genes to create the tomato fruit and flower so two plants in one. The hairs being a type of parasite.

Just my theory.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,477
      @Hattyfatner you might very much enjoy ordering seeds and starting from scratch. Or at least going online and ordering seed catalogs and they're usually free! They are very informative about how to grow things and they are delightful to thumb through on a chilly fall/winter day. They usually include lots of diffent remedies for various plant problems. And tne pictures. So much fun to look at.

It's a fun exercise and you won't regret getting these lovely mailings.

The hairs on the tomato stems can turn into more roots if the stem is laid in and covered with soil.

In the meantime, I have found peroxide to be a great friend when battling surface diseases/bacteria/mold. I buy cheapie spray bottles at Poundland, add peroxide (bought inexpensively at the pharmacist's.. you know the stuff you pour on a cut finger) and then dilute a little with water. Undiluted, it works great on destroying mildew from lawn furniture :)

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,477

I'm very surprised you didn't post a pic of Adam... after the bite of an apple :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        @CanadianLori it's nice to see poundland spans the continents:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
        • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,477

Well, we call it Dollarama but I figured I'd translate it... :whistle:i

• Like Like x 3
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,314
            I think your going to struggle to get figs from fruit dropping on the pavement.
            Figs grow on trees, as you know, so anything from seed is going to take years before it fruits.
            Better to buy a plant if you really want to grow figs.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +13,958
              You say that, pete....not wishing to raise hopes unnecessarily but I have a fig tree growing in the crack beween two paving slabs that I certainly didn't plant! I hack it down every year and it just keeps coming back :biggrin:
              To the OP.....as Canadian Lori says, seed catalogues are a great source of interest and information, even if you don't buy any seeds. Personal theories are all very well, but they're no substitute for established fact and botanical science.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +84,314
                Yep, i've got a 9ft high, 15 yr old fig tree on the allotment, just appeared one year, its a wild fig,leaves are different from my brown turkey.
                Started to grow its first figs this year, they all fell off.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +13,958
                  C'est la vie :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1