Long Boring wall of Breeze block

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by gardencat, May 5, 2006.

1. gardencat

gardencat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone, i'm a newby and this forum looks fab, already answered some of my questions and i hope i will be able to answer some too!

I have a long boring grey wall along the side of my garden, part is on the decking the rest continues along the garden - anyone got any cheap design inspiration or even experiemnted with some good paint colours - would love to hear fom you.

Thanks in advance

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    YES! congratulations member no. 2000!
    Paint it a light colour with suitable outdoor stone paint [there used to be one called Sandtex]. Put trellis panels up and large pots in front with climbers like honeysuckles, clematis, roses, or akebia quinata which I haven't grown but is said to be quite hardy, and has dark burgundy flowers which smell off chocolate. You could coordinate your wall, trellis and flower colours!

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,942
    Was going to suggest trellis myself, My neighbour built a grey breeze block wall, and I just drilled through the trellis panels and screwed to the blocks (I didn't even bother painting the blocks).

It is so surprising what a difference the trellis has made.

Also, Welcome Member 2000 !! :D ;)

Nathan

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    The 'in thing' according to the television makeovers is to paint it pale blue. But I think that draws your attention to it. If it was mine I would paint it green. That way it just disappears into the background.

I wouldn't use a trellis (something more to buy, to paint, and to rot) but would sink fixings into the wall and and attach reasonably heavy duty wire. You could then grow climbers up this or even espalier (ie trained) fruit trees.