1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for shrub (?) recommendations

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Welly, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Welly

Welly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've got four large bamboos planted in an L-shaped raised bed, about 1m apart. I'm looking for a shrub (I think) that will thrive and fill up the space between them.
    Any ideas gratefully rcvd.

Cheers.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,389
    Hi and welcome to GC. To be honest, whatever you plant in between bamboos will be more or less temporary, once they take over. The only way I can think of that you might be able to get something to survive would be to plant it in largish, very strong containers with holes in the bottom. They'd need careful watering.

3. Welly

Welly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.

The bamboos are really well established, they've been in for about 7 years or so but there is still space between them.
    I've tried running clematis through them but that didn't work.

4. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    It'll be very hard getting something to 'thrive', when it's competing for moisture in ground that has established boos(you didn't say what type?). Is there enough light to think outside the box with an opuntia or euphorbia? If not planted then plunge potted. This can then be lifted for winter storage. Same could be said for solanum and other Mediterranean type plants. Who could resist a large pot of hibiscus rosa sinensis under planted with crassula and plumbago.......yep, I've sorted out my planting scheme for next year!
    Failing that, interplant with fatsia and WLB(water like buggery)

• Like Like x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,389
      It wouldn't....clematis are greedy for food and water! Thing is....the bamboo rhizomes will be filling the space, even if there's nothing apparent on top. How about sticking some garden gnomes in? :biggrin: Seriously....nothing will compete with bamboo.