1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for some inspiration

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by luciusmaximus, Jun 2, 2021.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    @clanless is your pond a new addition? It looks new. I don't have enough deep soil to do something like your pond - unless I hire a kango hammer and a mini digger :loll:. Something like Gizmo's would be the way to go if I went down that route, although thinking about it I'm not sure it would sit into the landscape of that small area. Unless, I changed the landscape, but then I might have to change the rest of the landscape in the side garden, too :heehee: :loll:. Also, the expense to consider.

2. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,289
    Love it! I see you have a nice colour combination there with white and burgundy, tho I can't make out the individual plants, probably due to my appalling eyesight! :biggrin: What about restricting yourself to these colours in your new area and just having that simple contrast? Simply sticking to burgundy/dark purple and white/pale pink flowers/foliage? For burgundy/dark purple you could have Actaea 'Pink Spike', Alcea rosea 'Nigra', perhaps a smaller purple acer. You could also add a couple of the darker purple-flowered salvias, 'Nachtvlinder' and 'Amethyst Lips'. I quite like the bench where it is and think you should work around it as a focus, bringing the wildlife as close to it as you can, almost as if you are being embraced by it. :)

Nick

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +851
      With our pond we had no option really but to have a raised pond as I could not dig down more than 10 inches due to hard chalk without a digger of some design.
      I am planing to put in a escape route on outside front left side of pond and plants around the outside as well as inside of pond.. We have got 10 goldfish as well. Hoping to get more wildlife into the garden so we can enjoy the garden
      IMG_20210605_102036.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        Thank you . All the wild flowers in the front garden are self seeded. I love the pink campions, yellow buttercups with the white umbellicas. I planted a few cultivated plants and the trees were already there. I still have a lot of work to do in the front garden, but it's almost the way I want it. Adding a bigger pond is the biggest job to do and I am not looking forward to it, digging is not my most favourite activity :phew:.

I took some pics of the side garden, where the old run is but can't seem to upload them to here atm:scratch:.. Kindle is the problem, I think. The side garden has a slightly different colour scheme and less wild flowers, although there are a few champions and plenty of buttercups. I'm not happy with the cultivated planting I've done under the cherry tree, so will be tweaking that later on ( you need to see the pics to know what I'm talking about ). I think some of the plants under the cherry tree like the geraniums and geums might look nice in the old run. Not sure acers would like the strong, salty winds that whip across my gardens. I haven't heard of the other plants you mentioned, so will have to do some research on them. I did have a pink salvia a few years ago, but it didn't survive the winter ( I didn't know it wasn't hardy as not stated in planting label ). Definitely want to keep the umbellicas in the old run. The chairs will probably stay, too, although it's not an area I will use a lot. It's out of sight of the two rabbit runs and I need to be able to keep an eye on my buns when they are outside. I sit on the patio when they are outside as the runs are not predator proof.

• Like Like x 1
        • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          IMG_20210606_062841.jpg IMG_20210606_062809.jpg

The side garden. As already stated it, too, needs some work but not that much. I'm thinking the old run should reflect certain elements of the side garden but at the same time be different.

• Like Like x 4
          • Lindsey244

Lindsey244 Gardener

Chef
            Ratings:
            +132
            This is a great idea, I Love it. I'm moving soon and will have a nice big garden, this has given me inspiration to try do something similar. I get no wildlife where i am now, i think its too noisy. does it attract much wildlife? I also ove the red flower in the First photo, what is it?

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,625
            It's about 3 - 4 years old. My pond is not that deep - its terraced to allow siting of the various aquatic plants. I would say it is around 75cm deep in the centre and it has terraces around this deepest part - the outer terrace is about 10 cm from the top. I didn't use the frame to get extra depth - but to allow me to make the pond look level.

A fellow North Wales gardener - welcome Lindsey244 :smile:.

The red flower is an Aqilegia Red Hobbit - it's a herbaceous perennial. It was a couple of years before a frog moved in - no close by water sources so I've no idea where it came from. Now full of taddies, a couple of pond skaters and an assortment of other beasties. Thinking back now - the turning point was putting in the water lillys - yes - they must have been the tipping point for the wild life - aquatic plants.

The other point about no wildlife - it's all to do with habitat - so we planted a load of shrubs and - in time - the garden birds have come back. Shelter and a place to nest. The problem is that so many gardens are all flower beds and lawns - they look nice but not much use to local wildlife.

• Informative Informative x 1
              Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
            • Lindsey244

Lindsey244 Gardener

Chef
              Ratings:
              +132
              Thank you!

That’s so cool, i will definitely add some water lollies then, thanks. I have so many ideas for my new garden, I’ll be devastated if the house sale falls through. I will post some photos when I finally start making one :)

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +851
              this is our pond now with filtration unit just got to sort out plants

Attached Files: