Mares Tail battle!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by MadMare, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    there are lots of herbicides on ebay that are covered by laws, its all legal to be sold and its down to the individual to what they wish to do.
    You can purchase from online or in shop and many companies use administrators to purchase for example hence why the end user must be trained. All totally legal.
    As for following the instructions would you also purchase the correct clothing or the rather expensive spray equipment and understand the amount required for an area depending on output of your equipment, cleaning equipment, storage and so on.
    £800 may look expensive but they are a large company and so they have their costing, you might find a smaller team or one man band who's cheaper which is why quotes are important.
    Same applies to many trades from gas boilers, wood stoves, building work, electrical work, theres regulations involved and we all know we have to pay if we either want to stay within the law or want a job done to a standard.
    Unfortunately I am not the one behind such laws so take it easy on me, I can't offer help on such products if someone takes that route.

• Like Like x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      @Liz the pot firstly and foremost nothing is intended at you, working on a factory as i do health and safety is paramount, you have to be trained to do anything today, if you have to be trained to use chemicals as we do then you are trained, yes tradesman have to be trained, I'm a qualified painter and decorator myself and have been trained and qualified , what I'm saying is why don't we have to be trained to use roundup for instance, how many people have doubled the dose they use or found their own dose? There are unscrupulous people in every trade, but if you buy something legally don't add the mumbo jumbo "must be trained" if it's that important don't sell it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        I think it’s best to leave it there as it’s derailed the thread a bit. Hopefully the quotes come in and the end result is what’s required.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • MadMare

MadMare Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +26
          Well i hit the phone today calling companies listed in that BALI link....and drew a big fat blank! :sad:

Many only do commercial work and two that indicated they served private domestic, one said they would "get the manager to call me back", he never called, and the other after asking to see photographs, emailed saying they were "too busy and don't have time to take on any more work"!! :scratch: Perhaps that was shock after seeing the photos i sent as when i phoned they confirmed they did private domestic.

So at this rate it looks like i'm stuck with the one and only company to quote me whom i must say seem extremely keen as they phoned early this morning to ask if i'd received their quote and not to hesitate calling if i have any questions.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Some will be full, some will know it’s hard to get rid off and some will have no idea, this is what you are up against.
            A lot of my contacts have left the gardening trade leaving a shortage round my area which is bad for competition but good for my rates, not that I’m taking on too many new customers but the lack of companies can push up rates.
            I checked APL but no members near you sadly given the post code from the company who quoted you.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • MadMare

Ratings:
              +26
              Finally....success in finding another company! :smile:

Contact Mark Perrin (East Cheshire and Staffordshire) | Complete Weed Control

Big difference in cost too.....£120. :smile: Ok he quoted me over the phone after being satisfied by the description of size etc but the price is too good to turn down. He doesn't guarantee total eradication and said it will no doubt surface again next year, requiring another treatment, but won't be as bad. He told me it's Kurtail he uses and bought enough stock in to see him through until January when it's no longer in production.

• Informative Informative x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Liz the pot

Ratings:
                +1,259
                That’s good, Kurtail the old formula is not available now but under the law any stock must be used before next years deadline.
                He’s part of a franchise so you will have to see how it goes. At least he does mention he can not guarantee total kill off.
                Will he remove and tidy up or is this just the spraying which it sounds like?

• Like Like x 1
                • MadMare

Ratings:
                  +26
                  I think just spraying but will ask how i remove as he did mention it's illegal to dump invasive weed in a bin.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
                  +1,259
                  I don’t think this weed comes under the Wildlife and countryside act 1981 which lists all evasive animals and plants that are restricted.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                  +3,718
                  That's great news @MadMare ,glad you got a good price.:dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • MadMare

Ratings:
                    +26
                    Is it just me or what?? :scratch:

Six days since i gave the green light to come and do this job, saying at the time, "all you need now is a good dry 24hrs" of which the past four days have been.....and i'm still looking at a forest of Mares Tail! :mad:

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
                    +1,259
                    Did he tell you when he would pop up?

• MadMare

Ratings:
                    +26
                    No just a "i'll give you a call when the weather is right" (it wasn't so good last Tues). It's not that i'm impatient.....just desperate now!!

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
                    +1,259
                    This week looks good so hoping he turns up for you.

• DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                    +259
                    Oh wow ... have just read through all of this and I really hope he turns up and you manage to get it sorted. It really sounds like a total 'mare' and a massive problem. Fingers crossed for you.