1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Marestail Pest

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sigord, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Sigord

Sigord Gardener

Formerly Registraion Clerk
    Ratings:
    +86
    Does anyone know if they have now at last found a weed killer capable of destroying Marestail ? Glyphosate has no effect on it as I understand it has a wax coating.

Gone are the days when dear old Sodium Chlorate was available the even destroyed remaining tree trunks, all be at after a few years.

• Like Like x 1
    • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
      Ratings:
      +2,908
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      This is one aspect of leaving my current home that I will not miss!

When I arrived, it had a sprig or maybe two. The next year, I was pulling out half a dozen and my neighbour boasted: "My garden is full of that stuff! Any idea what it is?"

So, even with the best will in the world, I can attempt to control what is in my garden, but I'm doomed if my neighbour is letting his run rampant :cry3:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,498
      Glyphosate does have a cumulative effect but you need to crush the plant a bit to allow the chemical to get in. The old fashioned way was to hit it with the flat of a spade.

The problem with sodium chlorate is that it kills the soil for at least six months! I only use it, sparingly on the driveway and, then, just to get rid of bindweed that comes through the tarmac. I pull the bindweed out, put some crystals in the hole and pour a little water in. Then hammer the tarmac back - if it's a large patch I just heat the tarmac first. It seems to have worked on the occasional horsetail that has come through as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +803
        I use a product called Agritox from the local Farm shop
        It kills the Marestail but not grass, so is suitable for lawns. BUT it WILL kill plants so no good elsewhere
        Large areas can be covered in sheets of newspaper and covered in chipped bark for a very successful and quite long term solution :)