1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Marigold - Germination

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RobinS, Apr 24, 2017.

1. RobinS

RobinS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Last year we bought marigolds seeds and germination was prolific. Later in season, grabbed some reduced container grown marigolds as many of ours had been decimated by slugs. When they died back, we collected seed heads and have sown trays of them, weeks ago. Results; ZERO GERMINATION ! Is anyone else having problems? Is weather not right? (Trying both in & out of propagator) Are shop sold tub varieties bred not to breed? Do insects not like them? Anyone help, or shall I just go out and buy some seeds?

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Are they French or English marigolds (tagetes or calendula)? I sowed some calendula in the open ground back in March and those are coming up fine....

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,839
    Weird. Normally if you have marigolds you're stuck with them for life!

Just grab a packet of seeds and now then now

4. RobinS

Ratings:
    +14
    Not calendula. Remember in childhood, mum could never get rid of them. These are french targetes family......

5. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Marigolds should germinate easily . maybe the seed heads you collected were not viable . Buy a packet of seed and try again , you should get 90% germination.

• Like Like x 1
    • RobinS

Ratings:
      +14
      No problems buying seed but interested in getting to the bottom of why own seeds, and we collected many heads, are not viable......Hence throwing the question out to wider experienced audience

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I sowed saved Tagetes seeds saved last year and got poor germination and sowed again very thickly to get a reasonale amount showing. The year before that mice stole all the seeds before I cojld gather any and used them as nesting material.

Probably easier to get 5 packets of seeds for £1 from Lidl.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      In the case of your saved seed RobinS, maybe they weren't completely dry before storage, kept in a warm room or too much light, there are lots of factors that can reduce viability.

None of my Tagetes germinated this year, from a packet bought and opened last year. I had to buy some fresh seed. So I suspect Tagetes don't store well anyway.

• RobinS

Ratings:
      +14
      Ok, so drying out was on top shelf in greenhouse, where they stayed all winter - so, obviously lots of light......do they need to be in dark? What are ideal overwintering conditions for own seeds? Obviously, in the 'old days' gardeners only had their own seeds. I know some things need stratification, but marigolds?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      That is most likely your problem, dampness is the worst thing. They need to be dry, dark and cool. I store mine in an airtight container in our Larder over winter.

• RobinS

Ratings:
      +14
      Brilliant. Thank you. I'll try again next winter. Plenty of airtight containers go to bin. I'll divert some for seed duties......

• Like Like x 1
      • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,946
        I've not had great results from saved seed this year. But over the last 3 years with saved seed from previous year I have had no problems.

Problem is I have told other family members not to get marigolds from garden centres as I will have loads. I think I will need to get a packet and re sow some more :wallbanging:

Rusty

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        Lady on the plot opposite me has had problems with tagetes this year too, not a single one has come up for her but these are from shop bought seeds not self-saved.. I started a few off last Weds/Thurs, off up tomorrow to check them :fingers crossed:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        This non germination is very strange . Marigolds are usually your easy starter , when you begin to grow from seed .

• Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,077
          I'm tending to think the French Marigolds you grew last year were F1 hybrids?

Often, because they don't set fertile seed, ie they are sterile, they flower much more, which is just one of the things that makes F1s a cut above the rest.
          Unfortunately you have to buy fresh seed every year.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1