Mealybugs on an orchid :(

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ChrisR, Apr 1, 2011.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this chap recoverable? I've read of painting with meths, and possibly using "Provado" but the plant is fairly well infested. This is a typical flower. A few flowers have started to curl.

[​IMG]

2. chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +12
    oh yuck :(

mealy bugs are really a pain to get rid of. I have used the meths method but found it only gets rid of them for a short time, you need to repeat regularly if you can bear the smell. cryptolaemus, an australian ladybird, are a quite effective biological control but not cheap. i use a standard bug spray but that does not really get rid of them, just reduces numbers a bit.

I have to say i would be tempted to bin that orchid as they will soon be spreading to other plants from that.......

emily

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I used meths to kill the mealy bugs on my cacti and it worked fine, but as Chaz said, they came back again. The answer to that is do it again. With most pest control methods they're never permanent cures as the pest/disease is always out there, so you have to repeat the method of control.

Personally, I wouldn't bin the Orchid just because it's got mealy bug. Surely part of being a gardener is having to control pests/diseases, saving plants that aren't healthy - and succeeding!!! Use the Meths on the Mealy Bugs - and don't drink it in woe and desperation!!

4. CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +306
    I totally sympathise, as the same happened to me last year.

Brought a lovely White Orchidee to add to my growing collection from a local garden centre, and the orchids were kept in a green house.

I noticed the mealy bugs more and more each week, and tried to do as per the below with the meths, but they did come back. Personally I felt it was best to get rid of the orichid. But this was only because I have upwards of 35 orchids, and to me it was more cost effective to rid myself of the orchid I paid £3.00 for, or risk infesting the rest of my collection and have to replace it.

A friend purchased a dendronium not long ago, and within a few weeks we notcied a mealy bug attack. Unfortunately it had spread to the neighbouring 5 orchids within a few weeks. Again, they decided it best to get rid of the main culprit and treat the rest with meths, as they didn't seem to lay any eggs etc on the neighbouring plants. It took a few hours, but all was completely clear, and 3 months later they still are clear (fingers crossed).

The only time I have ever encountered mealy bugs has been when I have brought a new plant into my collection, and I have been keeping Orchids for a few years now. I always rigourously inspect any new purchases.

Hope you have luck whatever you decide to do.

5. wozwoz

wozwoz Gardener

gardener
    Ratings:
    +17
    Wow. Now theres a good candidate for the macro photo comp. ! : )

6. stumorphmac

stumorphmac cymbidist

RETIRED GARDENER
    Ratings:
    +212
    Try Eradicote from Defenders .co.uk I used it on red spider and three applications a week apart and they have gone They say it works on Mealy bug as well

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,875
    Unfortunately there is not much left for the amateur gardener for Mealy or RSM as most of the stronger insecticides have been withdrawn.
    As far as I know Provado has no effect on Mealy or RSM, I haven't tried Eradicote.
    I have used Meths, Malathion, Decis, Dimethoate, Nicotine Shreds, Lindane and Pemethrin Fumigants professionally in the (distant) past and all had a temporary effect.
    They are resillient little b*ggers.

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +88,039
    Westland "plant rescue" contains Thiamethoxam, it says it kills mealy bugs.
    Maybe it does, maybe it dont, mealy bugs are not a pest that I have ever had a problem with.