Mental Health issues can be overwhelming

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by ThePlantAssassin, Jul 10, 2019.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,279
    Good morning I am not posting this as a moderator but as a member I very rarely post as a member as I don't believe anyone can wear two hats at the same time,On a personal level I found the post offensive and distasteful to say the least as a Moderator I have temporarily removed the said post from public view ,GC the Forum is and will always be a friendly Forum all forums will have members that leave and indeed many return and we have new members everyday,GC is just as strong as it ever was and will remains so from time to time we will have contentious threads it is inevitable ,as I am involved in this thread what ever the outcome of the Admin discussions "I will take no part in them" which is fair and just This Forum will never be abandoned and is always very supportive regardless of a small minority of negativity posts:old:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      The thread is actually in the wrong place, its not about gardening with a disability as the title suggests.
      Should it not be moved to the non gardening threads.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,288
        Why? It was an excellent thread and Horticulture is one of the best regular activities for good mental health! I agree with Upsy, you are a highly valued member and I would hate the thought of you not having a community to confide in because of a silly misunderstanding here. :sad: Please don't leave, you did nothing wrong and we would miss you terribly! :)

I think everyone is just feeling irritable and frustrated due to lockdown. Little issues can become magnified. If people aren't interested in a thread they simply shouldn't read it.

Nick

• Agree Agree x 10
        • Like Like x 2
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          [QUOTE="Nikolaos, post: 1303331, member: 23167" Please don't leave, you did nothing wrong and we would miss you terribly! :)

I think everyone is just feeling irritable and frustrated due to lockdown. Little issues can become magnified. If people aren't interested in a thread they simply shouldn't read it.

Nick[/QUOTE]

@ThePlantAssassin, as @Nikolaos says please stay and do not cut yourself off even more.

Ricky

• Agree Agree x 11
          • Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,860
            Just needed to say that mental health illness's are generally excepted as a disability and DLA is given often, because of the classification.... Disabling very often for sure.... Keep Safe Everybody.

• Like Like x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,860

@ThePlantAssassin, as @Nikolaos says please stay and do not cut yourself off even more.

The trouble with cutting yourself off @ThePlantAssassin .. . your saying this is one place you can be....then you leave....then you will feel worse....ride the storm for you and your health's sake...:grphg:

• Agree Agree x 6
              • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +8,190
                Apologies for not reading all the posts. Ok yes this is a Gardening site, but other non-gardening subjects are aired.

We are all feeling stressful at the moment, but please try and be kind to each other.

• Agree Agree x 8
                • Like Like x 3
                • pattie

pattie Gardener

retired
                  Ratings:
                  +502
                  Just some casual thoughts, if I may.
                  This is an oldish thread, last post in June of last year? A thread which had some interesting and valuable comments, no contention as far as I can make out.
                  I wonder why it was revived, does this happen occasionally?
                  Might there be a case, particularly as this thread has created some upset, to delete old threads after a certain period of time?
                  As for having the topic of mental health on this forum, I look below at the 'Similar Threads' and Mental Health Issues, there have been five others, posts dated from 2005 up to 2018.Has anyone objected to them?
                  It is an important aspect of one's health and well being, after all.
                  I think there's something special here if people feel comfortable enough to share certain aspects of their personal life on GC. I don't think we should criticise them for wanting to do so.

• Agree Agree x 6
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +100,834
                    @pattie
                    It happens from time to time, pattie, when a member with any sort of problem finds an inactive thread that enables them to broach the subject that may be troubling them. Those who don't want to view or discuss such matters don't have to, that is the option to all members.
                    However, I think I must point out that while 99% of contributors are genuine and need our help, sympathy and understanding it has been known for people to claim such problems in order to excuse their behaviour on any Forum on the Net.
                    I think, and hope, that everyone on GC knows me for who I am and that I will help anyone I can with sympathy and compassion and I think everyone has a right to get support, comfort from the GC Gang and discuss openly their thoughts and problems without embarrassment or criticism, and long may it be so. I think it's a tribute to all of the members of GC that members feel safe and confident in discussing such matters
                    But, again, reality has shown that there are those minute number of individuals in every Forum who will use the infinite compassion and goodness of people for their own ends and, while we have to take people at their word, it can hurt good people when that is discovered.
                    I think Mike, a good knowledgeable friend, and Cindy are really good people who deserve our respect and support, as does any member of the GC Gang with genuine Life problems know that I fully support them as I do with all members. I am sincerely very proud and honoured to be a member of the GC Gang because of who they are, and what they are.

• Like Like x 12
                    • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,860
                      to @Mike Allen who hurts and Cindy who has been upset by maybe adding to the thread but actually they say its good to talk so lets talk, spread some kindness which some do lack that wonderful opportunity to feel they can support somebody in need..Upsydaisy should be mentioned for the compassion of her start up kindness posts..this is a very emotional song but we have all lost someone very close to us, that I believe this to be an appropriate song at this time... ...you do not have to listen...but it is for those that need some comfort..some need this today I know that now @Mike Allen and Valerie in my thoughts

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                        Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
                      • Texas Pete

Texas Pete Gardener

Railway
                        Ratings:
                        +93
                        Mrs worked in care homes and as nurse. I work on the railways. We've seen exactly what happens and the horrible aftermath as front line workers when people with mental health issues are forgotten about and either end up in a terrible state in hospitals or walking around railway lines... I don't think I have to go into any more details - all I will say is be kind and respectful - especially if people are fragile.

Gardening offers hope, because there is something new to look forward to. Like exercise (which is hard now in some cases - both my mrs and I love swimming and miss going) it offers escapism too. We should encourage this. Especially in these hard times. 2021 looks to be another bad year, at least some positivity can be found in what we grow which can be very important to provide some hope.

• Agree Agree x 6
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • pattie

pattie Gardener

retired
                          Ratings:
                          +502
                          Yes, Pete.
                          I try to find hope, a little pleasure perhaps in little moments.
                          Bless you and your lovely partner for all you do, have done.
                          x

• Like Like x 3
                          • Agree Agree x 3
                          • Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                            Ratings:
                            +6,097
                            Armandii, my friend. You've made this old fella blush. Such kind words.That's going to cost me a pint at the Black Swan ( Scampton):love30::love30::love30:

I have some news to share. Today 14th. Would have been Valerie's birthday. Next. I was booked for an appointment at Guys at the end of the month, for my cancer check-up. I got a text message. Would I accept an earlier one. YES PLEASE. The appointment time was for 11.40 We arrived early, traffic very lite. In we go. One Doctor and a nurse. Everything as usual was so friendly. The Doc askedm me my opinion about my local hospital. I prattled on about the consultant there. Doc immediately said. Nehcresh. Chat continued. Doc had trained under Mr N. Mr. N had taken the hospital trust to court some years back. Patient care of cancer patients wasn't that good. Both of us had nothing but praise for this consultant. Anyway the best part of the day. Sir. Oi cut the sir. I left him at home. Name's Mike. OK Mike. It was a bit mucky in there, but it's now flushed out. There are no new cancer tumours. So when do you want to come back, six month? Great. Yes. Thank you so, so much.

• Like Like x 11
                            • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +4,288
                              That's brilliant news, Mike! :dbgrtmb:

Nick

• Agree Agree x 6
                              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                                +100,834
                                Two pints, Mike.:dunno: But I'll buy the Whisky:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
                                • Friendly Friendly x 2