1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing Alliums?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Mar 20, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Are some Alliums not totally hardy? I went halvers with a friend on an offer of Alliums in the Autumn of 2014. There were 4 different varieties. Mount Everest, Sphaerocephalon, Caeruleum and 1 I can't remember the name of (not helpful!). I already have some Globemasters and a couple of other varieties that I've had for years.
    Spring of 2015 all came up and flowered very well apart from Caeruleum, not 1 came up? This Spring Sphaerophalon is showing plenty of signs of life but neither Mount Everest nor the other 1 that I can't remember the name of (purple flowered about the same size as Mount Everest) have made an appearance.
    All my other varieties are appearing so reckon I've now lost 3 out of the 4 varieties I originally got. Just puzzled and don't like loosing plants/bulbs etc. Wondering if it was because it was so wet that the 2 varieties that did come up and flower on 2015 rotted off? That said the drainage in my garden is pretty good but it was incredibly wet last winter. I'd quite like to get some replacements but not much point if there is a repeat of losses so hope someone can give me a good idea as to what went wrong.

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Silu,

My smaller ones are appearing now but I'm still waiting for my larger " globe " ones.

I think it may just be that it's still a little early, it's only mid March after all.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,092
      My stooped dog did for mine, I had high hopes but now leaves would be a bonus:scratch::doggieshmooze:

• Funny Funny x 3
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,335
        @silu
        It's probably the damp conditions. A caeruleum certainly needs good drainage.
        A sphaerocephalon was one of the first alliums I grew, it was fine for a few years and then made a bid for world domination and I've been battling them ever since.

• Funny Funny x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Obviously @Anthony Rogers you're an optimist and me a pessimist:). I'd be more inclined to be hopeful if all the others I grow weren't at least showing some semblance of life.

Funny that, not @NigelJ! I was a little suspicious that the original number seemed to have increased somewhat and only after basically 1 flowering season. Might have guessed they could end up being a pest as in the collection of Alliums we got there were treble the number of Sphaerocephalon! They are in the same area as the absent ones so perhaps not so fussy. I'll keep looking but not hopeful.

• Like Like x 1