1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

More questions re bringing up inert soil

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Jack McHammocklashing, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,297
    I intend digging out two spade depths of earth, onto my taupaulin, and making my raised beds
    I intend to refill with the dug out earth and the same quantity of compost all mixed up
    Will this compensate for bringing up the inert earth two spades down?

In my thinking it would

Jack McHammocklashing

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It'll help Jack, the subsoil won't have much humus (Organic matter) but it will have minerals so not completly useless.

You could make a liquid feed to supliment it. Get a dustbin & when you do the weeding cram the weeds in it & cover with water. In a few weeks it'll smell like the bog of eternal stench, you dilute it & water the veg with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
      Ratings:
      +641
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,297
      Well I have had a little go
      Our town was built on working farm land
      I have dug down 24" and it is still rich black earth then below that it becomes a sort of light brown clayish not clingy , but still broken up

I have said earlier I was going raised bed, but on thinking, How the heck would you dig it and crop the potatoes if it were not at ground level duh
      I would most probabley fall off and stick a Fork through myself at my age

So double dig for some depth

Jack McH

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Sounds a better bet Jack, i'm not a great believer in raised beds, they are a tree to keep watered in a dry summer.

While you are digging, bear in mind what I said about trenches for the spuds, silly to dig the whole lot over and then have to dig out trenches afterwards, dig the trenches then the rest of the digging will hapen when you earth up.

Save a lot of work my friend.

• Like Like x 1