1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving spring flowering bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by OBG, Apr 20, 2010.

1. OBG

OBG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have moved into a new house and have this spring had an assortment of snowdrops, crocus and daffodils grow in various places around the garden.

I would like to plant them in different places for next year. When should i dig them up? And should i replant them straight away?

Thanks

OBG

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,612
    You have to move them and divide them when they are still green. And respect the depth they came from retuning them to the same depth right away.
    You can see my garden pictures on You tube under Estherredstar, to see all my bulbs.

However, some of the bulbs you mentioned certain types of them are Naturalizes , which means they pop by themselves in odd areas, and you may just be in for a loosing battle. In that case I would just ignore where they are and in due course do your normal mowing of grass. Don't worry they will come up next year.
    I have several types I let roam around the front yard, I love the glorious drifts of color in the spring. First my creamy drifts, then yellow then blue.

3. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep.. straight after flowering while the leaves are still green! Plant them deep.. at least as deep as they were... and if it's dry give then a good puddling in.

The great thing about doing it now is that you'll know where you want them.... remembering in September where they'll look best in Spring is lmpossible