1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

mowers advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dicky Jim, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Dicky Jim

Dicky Jim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.
    Im starting a new garden maintenance business this year and looking at mowers.
    Funds are a bit scarce at the moment so my question is - is there a vast difference between pro range mowers and domestic? Been looking at the Honda Izy range but dealers are pushing me towards the pro range. I understood the bodies are of better build in the pros, but are the engines also upgraded?
    Thanks in advance
    DJ

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,094
    If money is tight as it probably is as a new business I would go for a quality domestic brand first and upgrade later when you know what size of cut,self-powered or not,weight is best suited to serve your customer base.
    I would look at Honda first ( never had one myself)but make sure you change the oil regularly and lubricate everything.
    And whatever you buy make sure it will cut grass with ease when its wet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      I do agree that, as you are starting out, buy something from the domestic range. As your income increases, so too can your ability to buy something from the pro range.

:sign0016: to GC and Best of British with your business :thumbsup:

• Dicky Jim

Dicky Jim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for your advice. Yes that makes perfect sense. What good domestic mower in the £500 price range would be good to get me started? Great forum btw!
      Thanks DJ

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Can't answer your question re what mower to buy in the £500 range but just be aware that guarantees are affected if tools are being used for a business rather than domestic purposes. Found this out when we bought a 2d hand but pretty new John Deere sit on mower from a business which didn't need it any more. I don't know all the ins and outs but just check where you stand when buying tools for your business and good luck with it, hope it goes well.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
        Ratings:
        +7,491
        You've had some really good advice already so I'll just welcome you to the forum. :sign0016: Good luck with your business ventures. :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,169
        If your budget is limited then I'd advise going for a second hand pro mower, a domestic mower just isn't designed to be used day in and out, so you'll be replacing it very soon and as silu says you won't be able to claim under the guarantee. Get a good used one from a dealer that has been serviced. Look on ebay there are lots around £500, you'll need to find one local to you.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,169
        Looks like the mulching option is only available on the more expensive models in the range above your budget anyway. So unless all your customers have compost heaps or some means of getting rid of the grass cuttings you are limiting yourself.

• utopiacraig

utopiacraig Apprentice Gardener

mortgage Adviser and Gardener
        Ratings:
        +9
        I run a small gardening business, only myself and a colleague when i need him and i run a Toro 48 cm recycling machine and a Stiga recycler both available for under £500, i would definitely recommend the Stiga its a brilliant machine.

• Grasshopperaggy

Grasshopperaggy Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
        Ratings:
        +33
        I would suggest if you can to get the best possible as it will pay off in the end. after starting off with mountfield mowers with monda engine average price around £550, 4 mowers later i bought a honda
        Honda HRH 536 HX 21" and it is amazing. cuts down mowing times at customers as it will handle any length grass which the older mowers wouldnt so that increases profit. usually would have to strim a long lawn first, rake it up and then mow but with this mower you just cut. and if you are going to be doing large commercials where you can mulch you just turn the handle on the deck and your mulching, no plug required. i allways used to loose the mulching plug in my old mowers. they have a twin blade so the mulching action works quicker and better, some times you would not know it has been muched, so that speeds up the job as you dont have to take clippings away and keep emptying the bag. and another great feature is not having to keep starting the mower every time you take your hands of the controls as you have a seperate leaver to start the blade spinning. thats also great if you have a bit of a walk to a customers as you can let the mower pull its self along with out the blade spinning and risk damaging it.
        but it all depend on how much you have to spend. you get get some great deals online.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          @Dicky Jim , well you can't get a better review than Grasshoppers ! Just had a look on Ebay quite a few 2nd hand around the £500 mark.

• Grasshopperaggy

Gardener
          Ratings:
          +33
          Haha. I sound like I am sponsored by Honda. After struggling with cheaper mowers Its great to have a top end machine. You spend so many hours using it and if it's your business it will probably be your main money maker.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +614
            Don't forget a cheap stand by as when you need the main mower for an important job it'll not start, I had a belter of a mower Honda engined rough as hell but it would cut down nettles an all if needed.
            It was a stand-by for when my ride on failed and it got used, also used it to clear undergrowth in a neglected garden.

• Like Like x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              @Grasshopperaggy , I understand . When you find a tool that works just right for your job , it is worth its weight in gold :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
              • Grasshopperaggy

Gardener
                Ratings:
                +33
                Today was a great example of that today. I have been using ryobi hedge trimmers lately. I have 2 of them. Mainly because they were cheap at around 160 each. Both broke on me today. One the blade snapped and the other one engine seized. They were only 1 season old. I would have been better buying one stihl trimmer. That will teach me