1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mr Grinch's Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mr Grinch, Jan 14, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I like them - they soften the straight edges :)

2. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Do you think so ? Something for me to think about then i think, i love this tinkering !! Im never happy but i enjoy it :blue thumb:

3. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Phase two started today, although this will take me well into next year i would have thought.
    I dug out the first footings for the path. The stepping stones are just not practicle and they are curved so a straight path will be made. This will be at the borders edge on the left hand side, whilst on the other edge, a more narrower one as this wont really be used as a main path, more an access to the right hand border. Im hoping this will create a decent edge to mow.

The first stage was today, i have a bit of sand left over, so i dug out in front of the new box future hedge, then layed some old slabs in the hole broke them up, the blinded with sharp sand then whacked down firm ready to lay a line of slabs. I'll let the weather get into it to settle, then i'll whack it again.

Pic to follow.

G

4. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I'll take them off your hands if you don't have anywhere else to put them.

Drop me a pm if so. Can collect sometime next week

5. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Ah Jane, they have been disposed of. Sorry :sad:
    The Rhodo hasnt gone yet but im thinking about it. Its never looked right. Leaves drop off and looks a bit yellowy. I mulch it with Ericascios every year and feed it but its never looked right. I think it maybe too wet for it.
    I'll let you know i i do decide to move it on.

G

6. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Hi all,
    Over Easter i got the "lets design a garden" bug. I must say, i really am inspired by Monty Don's garden at Longmeadow. I love the formalness of the box as well as the lovely blousy flowers in his borders so ive decided to totally re-design mine. It will take time to do, probably years but i wanted an idea and something to aim for.
    Here's where i am at the moment:
    [​IMG]
    The patio has finally been finished and last week i layed the start of the path just in front. I love how the green of the Box compared to the yellow/grey of the slabs. At the time, i just wanted to run a stright path up the left side of the garden and a more narrower path on the right but it just didnt seem to go. It just created more odd shapes so ive decided to go the whole hog with something that is a bit more formal but to also include the cottage garden blowsey flowers in the borders.
    Here's what i came up with:
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    First job will be to lay a couple of water dispersal trenches right accross the garden, just to releive that right hand corner that can get very wet. After that, i'll start on the left hand side path.

This project will go on for years :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I've got the Box bug too Mr G.....i blame Monty:biggrin: i can't wait to see the end result but i bet you change your mind many times before you finish it...i know i do:heehee:...your plans are looking great:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,359
        Made a small start this weekend. I had 5 slabs left over from the patio, so measured out their lengh, dug out the footings, smashed up some old paving slabs and blinded them with a mix of sharp sand and cement. This created a rock solid base.
        Hoping to lay the 5 tomorrow. Will then dig out the rest on this side in the coming weeks. This maybe a slow process:

[​IMG]

The problem's going to come with the spoil. The turf i bag up and take to the dump, so far the spoil, semi decent stuff has gone on the garden but ive now run out of room, apart from under the Viburnam bush.
        G

• al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
        Ratings:
        +3,267
        your journey looks fab!! well done!

• Like Like x 1
        • Evil Len

Evil Len Nag a ram

Ratings:
          +199
          Make little bags that fit inside your trousers, then walk round the neighbourhood releasing the spoil bit by bit, whilst whistling the theme tune to the Great Escape ...

:snork:

• Like Like x 3
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,361
          • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,359
            I laid four slabs today, the start of my square path. I was going to lay 5 but the last slab was out of shape a wee bit so i will use it for any off cuts im going to need. Ive always had help laying these things, they are very heavy but today i went for it all by myself. It was hard and as always i doubt myself but i got there. Just another 30 to go.

G

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,359
            Just had a check tonight and two of the slabs are not level !!!! Another slap in the old face !! :pathd:
            I wanted the path level width ways but on a slight gradient to mimic the garden. Im sure i checked all the levels !! Ive got the gradiant going up BUT two of the slabs have slight drop towards the border. I can see it, but the wife can not. Am i being anally picky or shall i have em up and re do them.
            Two things i hate, Riven slabs that are not dead flat and a garden that is not level. Ive got both !!!

:wallbanging:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,361
            I don't think you are being picky, anally or not :heehee:! If it offends your eye you have to put it right. :dbgrtmb:

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,359
            It will mean having them up (hopefully saving a slab) and digging up all the cement mortar. Im still thinking about it :dunno:

I let these things bug me shiney, i know it shouldnt but i always want to get things done to perfection. I know perfection doesnt really exist but if its not perfect in my eyes, i let it get to me. In other people gardens (even Monty's at Longmeadow) nothing is perfect. I look at his paths and a few are up and down and sometimes loose, i go to other gardens and see the same, but somehow it looks great in their patches, but when i get home and something hasnt been done perfectly it bugs me and becomes an obsession.
            I know that deep down nobody else will see it, once its finished it wont show as much and once the plants have grown and spread and softens everything it will look ok, but that little devil still chunters into my ear !!! :runforhills: