1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My cuttings all die! Frustrated!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lindyco, Jun 6, 2009.

1. lindyco

lindyco Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    :help: When I try to take cuttings of shrubs, they all die. I have followed instructions from gardening books, RHS site and my local garden centre expert but nothing works. My last batch, recently deceased, was of clematis 'Elsa Spath' and some Leycesteria. I use hormone rooting powder, I plant the cuttings in small pots or divided seed trays in a mix of commercial compost and vermiculite, and I keep them either in the G.house or on the kitchen window sill.

However, they all die. Sometimes they start off OK and perk up for a while but then they droop and wither. I have tried both keeping them just moist and also keeping them a bit dryer, but they seem to either rot or frazzle. I must be doing something wrong - but what?? I've just put in a new lot of 'Elsa Spath' and some weigela. Can anyone help me not to lose this lot?? I'm hopeless at this and I'm getting cross!

2. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid i have no advice to offer as i would prob have abpout as much luck as you. But i'll keep an eye on your thread as i was hoping to take cuttings this year and i think ill need advice!

Good luck with your next lot of cuttings!!

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi lindyco. I know it's disappointing, but don't lose heart.

The first problem is that you are putting them on the windowsill or greenhouse. Cuttings will wither in full sun, so keep them in a shady place.

I stopped using hormone rooting powder as it seemed to cause problems for me.

I also put the cuttings around the edge of a pot rather than in the centre, this helps to stop the stem rotting.

I use a mixture of general purpose compost and sharp sand, about 4 - 1 ratio. Water the compost in the pot well, put in the cuttings around the edge of the pot and add a layer of sharp sand on the top. If you wish (though I generally don't bother myself) you can place a clear polythene bag over them secured with an elastic band on the rim of the pot, this helps to conserve moisture.

Put the pot under the greenhouse bench or outside in a sheltered, shady spot.

Do not water again unless the compost is drying out, you can generally tell by the weight of the pot if this is happening.

Others may have other tips for you.
    Good luck

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I too have little success with cuttings. Following the textbook rules I have no success at all. The only time I have had success is when I've kept the compost absolutely soaked for a couple of weeks, then let it dry off a bit, but then I get about 20% success rate, and the survivors are not usually in the best of health for a while.

My neighbour, who is far more experienced than I, said that the trick is to cut of the growing tip. His logic is that all the energy stored in the cutting is used in an attempt to keep the growing tip growing. If you cut it off then the energy is diverted to the production of new roots. His success rate is such that when he takes a cutting, he just takes it for granted that it will be a good plant by the following growing season.

I'm going to have another bash at some soon. I'm going to put together some of the tips I've heard/read and see what happens. One tip that I read somewhere was to put clingfilm over the top of the pot of suitably moist compost/sand, then poke the cuttings through the clingfilm into said compost. Apparently this has the benefit of keep the rooting end moist while keeping the air circulation around the topside part, this reducing the risk of it going mouldy. We'll see what happens.

5. lindyco

lindyco Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    So putting new cuttings into an electric propagator would not be a good move, then? That was going to be one of my next moves. Also what are the problems you get with hormone rooting powder?

6. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Some cuttings do benefit from bottom heat, however I would be worried about cooking them at this time of year.

Clueless is correct about pinching out the growing point, also depending on the type of plant I ususally leave a maximum of 3 - 4 leaves, and on very large leaved plants, such as Rhododendrons, I leave just 2 and slice them in half.

I have had the whole cutting rot when using rooting powder, and have better results when not using it.

With clematis, I seem to remember you take the cutting not just below a leaf node as usually the case, but just above the node leaving a short stalk at the bottom - hope this makes sense.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Unfortunately, the only thing is practice, are you using a brand new craft knife? Crushed stems would be the first thing to rule out, and using a slicing motion rather than a chopping motion. You can root cuttings in pure vermiculite-it is sterile and of course very very free draining.

I failed every time with cuttings and these are the two things I changed and it seems to have sorted it out for me.

I also don't waste my money on rooting hormone, it makes no difference-at least for me.

8. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Lindyco, my cuttings are generally successful and I do it this way.
    I don't use rooting powder.

Get the pots ready first so that the cuttings can go straight in. Aout 6 " pots filled with a gritty compost, damp but not soaking wet.

Take the cuttings and remove the lower leaves to leave just a few at the tip.

Plant the cuttings round the edge of the pot nearly right up to the leaves but with leaves not touching the compost.

Put the potful of cuttings in a freezer bag with a bit of cane to keep the bag of the plants and clip it closed.

Put them in a sheltered shady corner outside and wait. I think you'll find most of them will take.

For your clematis you can do it this way. Look for a shoot / shoots that you can reach to a pot.
    Peg the clematis at an axle into the pot of compost and wait. Check it regularly, when roots have formed cut it off from the parent and you have a new plant. Rhododendrons are done the same way.
    Good luck.

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Lindy, instead of taking cuttings, layer your clematis, and wait for your Leycesteria to self seed, you`ll have no problems then.:gnthb:

10. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could you please explain as im not sure what you mean. If you could explain in simple terms for me that would be great? :dh:

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I think it is called an internodal cutting-although this page from the RHS site is about ivy about a third of the way down is a good description-and the ever important photograph of how to take them-but if you can layer them this is a better-practically guaranteed method especially if it has already started flowering

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1106/ivypropagation.asp

12. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Claire that link is fab!! Thank you very much! It explains everything in really good detail and at a level i understand - i'm learning loads on this forum!!

13. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Now that is interesting. I tend to put them near the middle. No I don't know why either. I will try your method. Makes sense. Thanks for that

14. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Alice do you use the plastic bag in all cuttings? For some reason I imagine they would get too damp I take it this is not the case?

15. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Carol Klein says to put the cuttings round the edge as theirs a better air supply there.

My first ever cuttings went well but the last lot I took didn't do at all well. Might try some more with these new tips I've gained from here. Look forward to hearing the results with the cling film