My Garden Progress

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kevin Cowans, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello @Sheal

I hope it all goes well too :)

If they do indeed come on Friday then there will be pictures to follow, not that the differences will be easy to spot, but still.

I will be glad to get it done and so I can move on to the next thing on the list, the very long list.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,311
      Hi Kevin,

I'll look forward to seeing those differences. :)

I have got one of those very long lists too. As soon as one thing is done another is added, especially in the garden. I think my garden would be your worst nightmare. :biggrin:

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
      +1,048
      Hello @Sheal

Well, I have just received an email from the Landscapers, they are having to delay the work until next week due to the rain we have had this week :wallbanging:

This, and now a problem with the Central Heating, British Gas coming tomorrow, the Plasterer not visiting when he said he would and the seals on the bottom of the composite doors failing for the fourth time since they were installed in 2017, I have just about had enough.

I will let you know when the landscapers come, or when hell freezes over, whichever one comes fist :sad:

Thanks

Kevin

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,311
      Hello Kevin.

Oh dear! Why do problems all come along together? At least the Landscapers were kind enough to let you know. :) I can understand them not wanting to work in the rain, especially if they have to use cement.

I hope you get your other problems solved quickly. When the going gets tough a new day helps and things don't seem quite so bad. Or a 'date' with your favourite music. When I'm uptight I play heavy rock, it helps to thrash it out! :biggrin:

I think the Landscapers will come, weather permitting, and I don't think hell will freeze over just yet. :)

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
      +1,048
      Hello @Sheal

The Landscapers were here yesterday :yay:

Spot the difference :)

2020-10-08 11.09.11.jpg

2020-10-08 11.09.28.jpg

Oh alright then :)

They removed the slabs making up the left and right hand side curve and re-laid new slabs and recut the curve.

Then they made the front left curve blend in to the setts down the left side.

They also removed the line of Setts at the front of the garden where the lawn meets the pathway and the odd piece of paving in front of the shed.

In the front garden they have edged the lawn with the same setts as in the back, photo to follow.

All in all I am really pleased with the result.

The landscapers were very easy to deal with, which coming from me is saying something, and their eye for detail was much better than the original landscapers.

I am having them back in the Spring to seal the Patio and the Setts.

So, one item off the list, many more items to go :(

All fun.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
        Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,311
        Hi Kevin. I have to say I couldn't spot the difference but you obviously can. If you're pleased with the result and the landscapers that's all that matters. :)

Yes I agree, but if your list is like mine as soon as one thing gets ticked as done, another one gets added. :doh:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
          +1,048
          Hello @Sheal

I did say you would struggle to notice the changes, at least on a photo :)

It does look much better though.

I am actually going to get the landscapers back in the Spring to seal the Patio, Paving and the Edging.

I had planned to get the Patio etc. sealed this Summer but due to the issues everything got pushed back and it is now too late in the year to apply the sealant, so, Spring it is.

As for the list, something else has already been added to it :wallbanging:

I got a notification from British Gas that Parts for my Boiler are no longer being made, so, I am going to look into getting it replaced along with the remaining old radiators in Spring (ish), hopefully it does not have any problems until then.

All fun :)

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,311
            Hi Kevin,

It's a good idea to leave the patio sealing until Spring, especially as the first frosts aren't that far away. I've already had a couple up here - much too early!

Oh dear, perhaps I tempted fate about things getting added to the list, sorry! I'm sure your boiler can be nursed through any issues before Spring comes round. We had ours replaced just after moving here three years ago. The pumps for the old one (an oil boiler) were failing and made some dreadful, scary noises, we thought they were going to explode. Gas isn't laid on here so we replaced it with a new oil boiler.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
            +1,048
            Hello @Sheal

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to be at the stage at the moment of getting the work of others corrected.

The Patio is now done :hapydancsmil:

Next on the list is a Plasterer coming on Monday to re-skim my bedroom wall and level out the chimney wall that dips up to 10mm in the centre that was originally done by the Local Council when they installed the Soundproofing.

Regarding the Boiler, it was originally installed for my Mum under the Warm Front Scheme in 2008 and they installed an Ideal Isar He24 which is not well thought of so I am lucky it has lasted this long.

Now, for something completely different :)

Talking of First Frosts, is there anywhere I can look to see when they are due in my area?

Thanks

Kevin

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,311
            Hi Kevin,

Do you mean it has been sealed?

I've seen my fair share of plasterers. :) My last house was completely refurbished inside.

Yes, your boiler has done very well for twelve years old. Our previous two gas boilers were Vaillant's, one of which was seventeen years old. If we had gas now we would have the same make again, we found them reliable.

Hmmm, I'm sure there must be a website that will give you details of local frosts. I tend to look at the overnight temperatures given on my local forecast and use them as a guideline. Unfortunately weather forecasts aren't that reliable. I use XC Weather online at the moment, but as I said it's not always right with the weather forecast but it does tend to get the temperatures right. I'll post a link for it if you are interested in having a look.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
          • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
            +1,048
            Hello @Sheal

Sorry for the confusion, I just meant that the corrective work on the Patio has now been done so I can now move on to the next item on the list.

Sealing the Patio is still a job for Spring.

I have never dealt with plasterers so hopefully things go smoothly, hopefully.

Thanks

Kevin

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,311
            That's okay, I thought that's what you meant. :)

A play on words there, hoping everything goes "smoothly". :)

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
            +1,048
            Hello @Sheal

Well, the plasterers did a bad job which I am now going to have to pay someone else to put right, they had good reviews etc. so I had hoped things would go well, unfortunately not though :sad:

Anyway, back to the garden.

This is the first year that there has been any real growth in the garden so now I am looking for some advice on pruning, tidying etc.

Is it better to prune now or wait until the Spring?

If I leave the dead flowers etc. until Spring there will be some structure, cover for insects etc. over the Winter so I am inclined to wait until Spring, would there be any problems with doing that?

Is there any other general advice regarding what I should be doing this time of year?

Still learning, but, do we ever stop :)

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,311
            Hi Kevin,

You haven't had much luck with tradesmen this year. It's strange that the plasterers did a bad job despite good reviews. I wonder what's changed? Could it be that the plasterers are different to those that got the reviews, they may be new to the firm?

I wouldn't wait until Spring to prune, as with some plants you may be pruning off the new growth that will provide flowers for next year. Ideally for most plants I would say late Winter is better, from the middle of January to the middle of February.

There's very little to do outside at this time. If you have any roses, they can be given a light trim, but they aren't usually fully pruned until February. Have you any climbers in the garden? Specific types can be pruned at this time to help them fill out for when they start growing again in Spring. Any plants that you think are looking scruffy can also be given a light pruning.

February is really the time when we think about preparing for next Spring. Mulching with compost or manure and any major pruning or tidying of plants. If you grow vegetables then they would be treated slightly differently.

Gardeners never stop learning. It's a big subject and there is always something new for us to think on and perhaps make use of. :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,288
              Overall I think it's all coming together very well @Kevin Cowans, the borders are starting to look nice and full and it's making the garden look far more established and complete. It's very easy to look at our gardens and see the little issues, see what they lack. But it's harder to look at them and see what one has achieved, as we learn more we become hypercritical and often fail to see all our progress, which is why this forum is so useful as a record. It's so important to diarise and regularly take photos as horticultural enthusiasts because we can often fail to see how far we've come!

Nick

• Like Like x 1