1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My Garden Progress

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kevin Cowans, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Hello all

I hope you are well.

Warning, moan incoming

Well, I have had enough with the Patio now.

I have just noticed another issue with the Patio.

Since it was originally laid in March 2020 I have had to address the following:
    • Have the curves re-cut.
    • Replace a couple of slabs due to damage.
    • Had a couple of slabs lifted and re-laid due to them rocking.
    I now have another rocking slab.

Other issues that are present include;

The joints are different widths throughout the Patio making the Patio look untidy.

The Patio has been laid level, with no fall, so when it rains the water pools which is bad for sandstone.

I have been spending money hand over fist this past year to address some of the issues but the bigger issues are not a quick fix

Because of all the issues, I have decided I am going to get the Patio re-done, probably around July time.

I was hoping to be able to sit in the garden this year but the best laid plans......

All fun

Thanks

Kevin

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      Hi Kevin,

It's so annoying when something like this haunts you continually and never seems to turn out the way it should. Now with more problems with the patio and despite further expense, you are probably making the right move to have it completely re-laid. Fingers crossed that it goes well second time around.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,065
        Hello @Sheal

Thanks for the reply.

My thinking is that, considering the issues that have occurred over the last year with the Patio and the expense incurred that more issues may arise in the future so it would probably be cheaper in the long run to get the Patio re-done now rather than spend more money on it fixing issues down the line.

I had a company (County Paving) visit yesterday and they said to re-lay the Patio and the Paving, using the current slabs would be £1000.

I have some issues with using the current slabs though, including:

• It is unknown as to whether the slabs can be lifted cleanly from the Full Mortar Bed.
        • The slabs could be damaged when lifting them.
        • Re-laying the slabs with the correct Pointing Gaps is going to affect the curves on the Patio.

He is going to get back to me on Tuesday with a price to re-do the Patio and Paving using new Slabs.

The Kandla Grey Honed and Sawn Indian Sandstone (900 x 600) slabs are approximately £19 per slab and I would need 35, so £665, so including the extra labour etc. it is probably going to be close to £2000, not ideal but needs must.

I will see what price he comes back with on Tuesday.

On the plus side, if there can be a plus side in this situation, I took out some anger on the weeds yesterday, granted, I had to lay down for an hour afterwards but at least the borders are clear(er) of weeds.

Thanks

Kevin

• Friendly Friendly x 3
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,509
          Are the slabs cut to that specific size kevin 900x600mm ? On the sheet of sizes on the crate its approximate so the sizes do vary which makes the gaps vary . You'll know if they are machine cut with perfectly straight cuts and .

The flags will come off easier than you think of course some may break but its much better on your wallet to replace a few than the entire set . If you are still intending to get all new do not give the flags away ( except for family friends etc ) they will still get you some money back if advertised on facebook - gumtree and others .

• Like Like x 3
          • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
            +1,065
            Hello @Perki

The slabs are Honed and Sawn to 900mm x 600mm.

The pointing gaps are even but of differing widths, if that makes sense, I will try to get a photo to better explain.

On one line of slabs the gap looks like 10mm, another line of slabs the gap looks like 3mm, it just does not look right.

I will see what price he comes back with on Tuesday for using all new Slabs, it may be that I do as you say, use what slabs can be lifted cleanly and without damage and then new for the others.

Thanks for the tip about Gumtree etc.

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,610
              I think Perki has come up with a good point. There's no point in spending out on replacing them all if it isn't necessary, but that's your choice of course.

• Like Like x 3
              • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
                +1,065
                Hello @Sheal

I agree, disregarding the slabs that make up the curves and any cut slabs, there are 25 whole slabs, so those can be re-used, assuming they can be lifted cleanly and without any damage.

I will see what the landscaper says when he gets back to me, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 5
                • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,616
                  Hi @Kevin Cowans I am glad to see that you are working your way through to a solution. It makes me sad to hear about people paying out good money and then receiving disappointing results.

I'm looking forward to seeing everything fixed up for you. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
                    +1,065
                    Hello @CanadianLori

Apologies, I missed your reply.

I have received a few Quotes for re-doing the Patio and Paving, needless to say that there is a large difference between the Quotes and what the different procedures would be.

I am going to go with the Quote from 'County Paving' who have said that they will do the work for £1000 if they are able to use all the current slabs, or, £2000 if using all new slabs.

There are 35 slabs in all and 10 of those make up the curves on the Patio.

The slabs that make up the curves are all going to be discarded as the curves are going to be re-done.

The Patio will be re-laid with the proper Fall since it was originally installed flat, with no Fall which means that when it rains the water pools on the surface which is not good, especially for Sandstone.

Also, they are going to be using a slurry mix on the back of the slabs to aid in adhesion to the mortar bed, something the original installers did not do, they did not even wash down the back of the slabs before laying them which probably explains some of the issues I have seen.

There is a possibility of using 25 slabs, assuming that they can be lifted cleanly and without any damage.

So, I will budget for £2000 with the likely hood that it will be less.

I am going to be booking the work for either the last week in July or the first week in August since their lead time is approximately 8 weeks, also, it will give me some time to get the funds together which is always a good thing as I will be able to pay cash.

Hopefully, everything goes well and, if so, I will be posting new photos when the work is completed :)

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 3
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,610
                      Hi Kevin,

It sounds like County Paving are a good business and know exactly what needs to be done. I hope it goes well for you this time. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
                        +1,065
                        Hello @Sheal

Thanks for the reply.

I hope it goes well too :)

I was hoping to have had the Patio Sealed and all the furniture etc. in place by now and be able to sit out and enjoy the garden but no such luck :wallbanging:

I am also still trying to get a date from the Landscaper who laid the wrong stone setts in the front garden for them to be replaced.

The work was done on October 7 2020 and he told me it was too late in the year to replace them due to the weather which is understandable, he then told me that he would not be able to replace the setts until at least February when the frosts ease, so, I contacted him in February and he said he has not started working again yet, so, I agreed to contact him again in early April which I did and as yet I have not received a reply.

I am quite forgiving when it comes to issues like this, however, my patience is now wearing extremely thin.

If he does not replace the setts this month then I may just tell him to forget it and contact Checkatrade to inform them of the situation.

Do you happen to know the best way to remove setts bedded on cement around a lawn?

I may just remove them and tidy the lawn edge for now until I can get the correct setts laid again.

Thanks

Kevin

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,610
                        Hi Kevin,

You may not be able to put all your furniture out just yet but at least you can take a chair out and enjoy the sun. Turn it away from the bad area so you don't have to look at it.

I'm not surprised your patience is running out, there's been one problem after another but it will come good eventually.

Paving is something I've not tackled, so sorry I can't help you with that. Perhaps you can post about the setts in the 'DIY' forum. You are more likely to get a response there.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
                          +1,065
                          Hello @Sheal

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I do not have any seating currently, I am waiting to get the Patio et al sorted before I purchase the 2m Sleeper Table and two 2m Benches.

I have decided to give the Landscaper until the end of April, if he does not sort out the issues by then I will just tell him what to do and let Checkatrade know the situation.

I have just got a price from the Handy Man I sometimes use for small jobs and he has said he could remove the setts and dispose of them for £60 so that will be an option.

I could lift them myself but then there would be the issue of disposing of them, I have no transport and even the smallest skip would dwarf the space I would need.

Once the setts are removed I will just tidy up the lawn edges and leave it for now until I can find a reliable Landscaper to do the job again.

Some good news, I just discovered that I have a Pension Policy that I did not know about which was taken out in 1992 when I worked at the school, it has not been paid in for quite a number of years since I started an LGPS through the school soon after.

The Policy has a value of £4300 so I am looking at taking it as a cash sum and closing it, I did look at transferring it into my other Policy but they do not allow transfers so that will help with expenses around the house, and garden.

All fun :)

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 4
                          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +52,610
                            Hello Kevin,

That's good news about the pension policy and has no doubt brightened your days. Yes, it will definitely help with your expenses and perhaps you can treat yourself to something nice too. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                              Ratings:
                              +30,616
                              @Kevin Cowans I am glad you have an option to free up some needed cash :) Just an off topic giggle to share: When I packed my son's lunch this morning, I included a snack sized bag of Minion biscuits. He is only living with me temporarily and he is 46 years old. I'm sure that caused some fun at work!

• Funny Funny x 3