1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My Garden Project - Need some inspiration and advice

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Eden1, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Eden1

Eden1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I've only had a chance tonight to sit down and study your post. I've googled some of the plants you have suggested because I hadn't heard of any of them and there are some great pointers. The Margurites were the wrong choice for behind the stone seat, something that would soften it such as the helianthemum would have been better. You live and learn I suppose.

I don't have the cash to go and buy all the plants for this bed in one go. It's going to be a bit by bit thing. Should I concentrate on shurbs first?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes Eden1 maybe you should :)

Get some structure ....the shrubs...in it that you can add to gradually:)

To be honest, I started with cadging cuttings, pieces of plants given to me and plants I did buy were divided to make more. Took some time but not too long and actually built up quite nicely.

Just enjoy the process :) It’s a long term project :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,890
        Hi @Eden1 , you could sow seeds of many perennials now and plant them out during october/november. They will make nice sized flowering plants by next summer. You've already mentioned Helianthemum, there are tons more including..... Lupins, Hollyhocks, Aquilegia, Carnations, Pinks, Sweet Williams, Pansies, Poppies, Lychnis, Coreopsis, Campanula.
        If you've got a Wilikinsons near you go and have a look at their seeds, they're on offer at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Eden, gardening can be hard graft at times,and often followed by disasters. I'm sure most of us have experienced something like this. Oh! if only we could snap our fingers and wowee! look at that garden. Truthfully we all want to break eggs with a big stick. Gardening is a pleasure, a dream we wish to fulfill. Take it easy. Perhaps GC member may be able to help with plants/cuttings. Is there a local garden club near you. Never be afraid to ask. Gardening folk of all levels will do anything to encourage you. Best wishes.

• Like Like x 2