1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My mail order Daphne twig

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ThePlantAssassin, Aug 3, 2019.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Heard back from Imperial plants and they tell me this plant is 2 yrs old and is a slow growing plant but with potting on (already done this as was in tiny pot) will begin to flowet THIS YEAR! Before I stamp my feet, some thoughts from the people who know please. It's about 5" tall above soil 20190803_084232.jpg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Cindy, a couple of points :)

It prob is 2 years old.
    No, it won’t flower this year....or next probably
    However, simply grow it on now:)
    It is a slow growing plant....but it doesn’t look too bad in the photo.

I have grown lots of daphne from cuttings and from the stage yours is at I would pot into half and half John innes and mpc. But what compost did you use? Whatever you used stay with it but when it comes to repotting next spring use the 50/50 mixture.

I wouldn’t plant it out in the garden next spring preferring to wait until the autumn
    giving it a chance to grow into that pot first .

It will grow more quickly as it establishes and produce a delightfully scented shrub:)

3. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Is mpc Multi purpose compost? Ive put it in no3 with 20% hort grit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Do Daphne not prefer slightly acidic conditions @Verdun ?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      My Daphnes do well in my chalky alkaline soil - maybe there are varieties that need acidic I don't know.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Hiya Freddie :)As JWK said, Daphnes vary in their requirements but Odora and its varieties grow in neutral even partly alkaline soil :)

Some Daphnes need ericaceous, sun, shade to full shade etc., according to type. Mezereum for example likes woodland conditions....I grew it and Alba in shade and they were superb but not so here in this sunny garden :)

That’s fine Cindy....patience will reward you with a lovely highly scented plant. When you do plant it out, if you do, it will make a sizeable wider than high impact shrub:)

• Informative Informative x 1