1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nasturtiums advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Craig1987, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Craig1987

Craig1987 Gardener

Payroll Administrator
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm going to have a go at growing nasturtiums this year. My grandparents have them in pots around their garden and they make a real impact. I've got loads of seeds from them but have also bought a packet of 'phoenix' to try.

I'll be growing my grandparents seeds down at the allotment as floor space filler to combat the weeds as well as making it look more attractive.

I originally bought the phoenix variety to put in a wall trough. In the last two years i have had begonias and petunias in it. Thought id try something different.

My first worry is, will it not be as effective as i think? ie. will there be more green than flowers. My grandad says to pack the seeds into a pot. Apparently when nasturtiums are restricted, they produce more flowers than leaf. Does anyone agree with this?

Does anyone have any tips with nasturtiums?

many thanks in advance

2. nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
    Ratings:
    +2,908
    Yes it's true that if the soil is too rich they will put out more green growth than flowers. I've had one plant that grew near a compost bin and it grew to over 12 feet long with not a lot of flowers. I one put 12 seeds into a standard hanging basket and it flowered like mad! I too am trying 'Phoenix' this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Nasturtiums are very easy from seed . As Nfrost said they prefer poor feeding to flower . This is awkward when you are feeding your beds , you can't be so selective !

• Informative Informative x 1
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,625
        love growing these each year. And yes they are easy to grow. But as far they helping with weed control, nope, not dense enough.
        Love starting them in pots. This year I have two seed types to plant, the Black Velvet and the Peach Melba. And I mainly plant them for salads additions.