1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NATURAL TRUST RIP OFF???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jul 16, 2014.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Oh they do, and you have to pay up front before they even come out to you.
    RAC that is.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    It might, possibly, be a pilot scheme (and I think it would be a bad financial decision on their part) but there are so many competing places that I could easily spend all my time visiting those and not go to NT properties.

At the moment I make my decisions on where to visit on the basis of what is good and what is a reasonable cost. Although I don't have to pay for parking or entry at NT properties (which colours my view on where to visit) I do spend money having tea etc. and catering is a major income generator for them. I don't think they would roll it out across all their properties as it would be very difficult for them to regain lost members if they, then, change it back.

The "I don't really care" was partly tongue in cheek but is a pointer towards the view I would take because there are so many other places I can frequent. Having said that, my attitude wouldn't stop me from being extremely vocal about my regrets :heehee:.

On the up side, it might encourage me to see some other places that I've never bothered to go to in the past. Of course, if they started charging members for their car parks in the Lake District I'd probably be camping on the head office doorstep. :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,497

I can't remember ever having been to a property with the car park such a distance from the place!

I suppose it makes a difference that we never take seats with us anywhere and our 'picnics' are not real picnics. We just take some sandwiches or rolls and a bottle of water. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        :scratch::doh: Not with you, Pete.:dunno:??? Are you saying that if you're a paid up member of the RAC and should you break down you have to pay an additional charge???? I'm with Green Flag and they seem to have it all covered.:coffee:

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,497
        No extra charge with the AA.

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Why do the NT ask you to pay for the "Gift Aid" option?

I also deeply resent the fact that the staff at all the NT sites I have been to assume that everyone will pay the higher entrance price.

If I fill in a form to say I am a UK tax payer they get a 20% (or whatever it is) tax break concession. Why (again!) do I have to pay extra to enable them to do that? :scratch:

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,497
          @Kristen That's a new law that Revenue and Customs brought in a few years ago.

Charities that charge an entrance fee have to be shown to be receiving extra funding before they can claim Gift Aid. The Revenue set that extra sum at 10% and it has to be charged by all charities. The NT and RHS have to do it - as did Bressingham on Sunday where they charged us wrinklies £7.27 without Gift Aid and £8 with it.

As I always wish to decide who I give Gift Aid to, I refuse the extra and object if they try to charge me the higher price without asking.

As we already give a lot to charity we have to be very careful about giving more Gift Aid. If the total tax claimed by charitable donations exceeds the amount of tax you actually pay then the charity gets the tax from the Revenue - and the Revenue send you a bill for it!!! It happened to me, and I had to pay the Revenue some of the money they had given to the charity. :sad:

• Informative Informative x 3
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,169
            Depends on how often you intend visiting. If you go three times or more then you are better off.

There's a garden near us that's £7.70 for each entry or £35 for a season ticket, and as we visit very regularly the season ticket saves money for us in the long term.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Thanks for that. First time I've been able to figure out the "why" part of that :)

Me too. We have a very limited pot for spontaneous donations (although I don't think a couple of quid for gift aid on an entrance fee is make-or-break!!) as we decide annually on which charities we want to support. I don't suppose we are close to the tax limit - never really thought about it, and never expected anyone to actually collate all those little chits - what a waste of time! although otherwise open to abuse of course - but neither can we support every charity that asks us.

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,497
            We have to keep an eye on the limit all the time as we pay very little tax, being pensioners :old: :snork:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            I'd like to say that I pay very little tax because I have a good accountant :) ... but it turns out that you need to be a Footballer, Rock star or Chat Show Celebrity of low moral scruples (no names, no pack-drill!) to be too poor to be charitable ...

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,497
            So, if I work at it a little bit harder, can I be a Rock Star? :heehee:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,169
            I was treasurer for a local charity for years and it was one of my jobs to do just that :rolleyespink:. HMRC did not wish to see them routinely but there was always the possibility of them auditing us so they had to be kept just in case, and we would then need to identify who gave what. I didn't mind doing it as the gift aid gave us a tremendous boost to our income for only a little extra effort, it much easier than organising any other money raising events such as fetes and fairs.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Doesn't it depend a bit on the average amount of each donation? If they are all a pound or two its a lot of chits to have to organise for 20p-each :sad:

If you fiddle your taxes a lot more you could be :) ... well ... "Notorious" at least :heehee:

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,497
            Taxes? What are they? And I can't play the fiddle! :heehee: